Currently reading:
EICR Report - Advice regarding remedials & final Certificate

Discuss EICR Report - Advice regarding remedials & final Certificate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This is a Situation I haven't run into before, I do all the smaller to medium sized maintenance and electrical Jobs at a Local Educational Premises, this building was a new build in 2014 . There are 13 large three phase Distribution Boards, the last EICR in 2019 was completed by a Testing company (The Job was too big for me to complete in the given time window of 2 weeks) . There was less than a Thousand pounds worth of remedials - of which they were quite happy for me to complete and forward on a satisfactory certificate once I sent them me report and photos etc of work done. So roll on to the recent EICR - The company who done it this time is local, get ready for this.... The remedials they quoted for is getting up towards the 20 Grand Mark. Many items as you can well imagine are actually, not an issue (as I said this was a new build 2014) - as I have proved with a walk around with the Building Services Manager and Picking off random items. The Issue being they have classed the installation as Unsatisfactory - They do not seem keen to issue a Satisfactory Certificate Unless they carry out the redials and retest them selves. Just to be clear Im a Sole Trader Fully Qualified & Have my 2391 etc.

An EICR should not be reissued as satisfactory after remedial works as the installation would not have been subjected to another EICR.

- They do not seem keen to issue a Satisfactory Certificate Unless they carry out the redials and retest them selves.

There's no such thing as a satisfactory certificate.
An EICR is a report which will find the installation to be either satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

Any remedial works required should be completed and an appropriate certificate issued (EIC or MW) or otherwise a record of the remedial work made.

For there to be £20k of remedial work needed seems to be a bit over the top can you redact the EICR and post it up here so we can comment

The other side of this is was it a cheap EICR and hopefully they expect the remedials to put the icing on their low price

With regard to the EICR being too big a job can you not agree with the customer to break the EICR down and do a section of it each year so every 5 years it is then fully inspected and it provides you with some work continuity

Last edited:
There's no such thing as a satisfactory certificate.
An EICR is a report which will find the installation to be either satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

Any remedial works required should be completed and an appropriate certificate issued (EIC or MW) or otherwise a record of the remedial work made.
Thanks for your reply, yeah that was a complete mis-wording on my behalf-I know it's a report and not a certificate! That's what im doing, any issues ive found that are factual (Many were not! Lots of C2s Listed - which are not problems when I tested & inspected) - im completing a MW for each one. Therefore does the Original testing company "have" to come back to inspect paperwork etc & Issue a Satisfactory Report ?

No the school can attach your certification to the report as evidence for remedial works. To issue a satisfactory report they should retest the installation they can't edit the previous one.

For there to be £20k of remedial work needed seems to be a bit over the top can you redact the EICR and post it up here so we can comment

The other side of this is was it a cheap EICR and hopefully they expect the remedials to put the icing on their low price

With regard to the EICR being too big a job can you not agree with the customer to break the EICR down and do a section of it each year so every 5 years it is then fully inspected and it provides you with some work continuity
Thanks for your reply, to be frank this EICR Report is fraudulent - when the Building Services Manager approached me I just Knew there's no way for a start so many circuits were failing due to faulty RCBO's, Ive literally replaced dozens and dozens of broken sockets since 2014, and complete a MW each time and NEVER had a RCBO fail! That's why I walked around with the Building Services Manager and picked off some random things which I thought were suspect to show her they weren't in fact problems! and there was no way 20K worth of work. It was most definitely not a cheap EICR , and the Company Is NICEIC etc etc.

Therefore does the Original testing company "have" to come back to inspect paperwork etc & Issue a Satisfactory Report ?

No, they should not be coming back to check the remedials and alter the report, if they are suggesting that this is necessary I would be wary of their business practices.

The testing company carry out the inspection and testing, issue the report and that is the end of the process. If they have not been given the contract to carry out the remedials then they have no further involvement.

Thanks for your reply, to be frank this EICR Report is fraudulent - when the Building Services Manager approached me I just Knew there's no way for a start so many circuits were failing due to faulty RCBO's, Ive literally replaced dozens and dozens of broken sockets since 2014, and complete a MW each time and NEVER had a RCBO fail! That's why I walked around with the Building Services Manager and picked off some random things which I thought were suspect to show her they weren't in fact problems! and there was no way 20K worth of work.
I think that there are a lot of reports being done that try to prey on the fact that the person ordering the work has not got or does not have access to the neccessary knowledge to question the outcomes reported
It was most definitely not a cheap EICR , and the Company Is NICEIC etc etc.
Enough said I don't see that many genuine reports done by NICEIC / NAPIT contractors they invariably miss the faults that desparatey need attention and report non faults

4 years ago I was asked to look at an EICR that was done on a local church it reported one issue that needed to be done and two that were not even issues having only previously done a bit of relamping of the high fittings I didn't know that much of the electrics but knew enough to highlight about half a page of issues without going near the church having looked back through 20 years of EICR's for the church it became apparent that the last decent EICR was back in 2004 when a number of remedials were carried out. I did a walk round with the church warden and noted 1½ pages of issues that needed attention and ended up with 3½ days of work to bring the installation up to standard and produce another EICR

I think that there are a lot of reports being done that try to prey on the fact that the person ordering the work has not got or does not have access to the neccessary knowledge to question the outcomes reported

Enough said I don't see that many genuine reports done by NICEIC / NAPIT contractors they invariably miss the faults that desparatey need attention and report non faults

4 years ago I was asked to look at an EICR that was done on a local church it reported one issue that needed to be done and two that were not even issues having only previously done a bit of relamping of the high fittings I didn't know that much of the electrics but knew enough to highlight about half a page of issues without going near the church having looked back through 20 years of EICR's for the church it became apparent that the last decent EICR was back in 2004 when a number of remedials were carried out. I did a walk round with the church warden and noted 1½ pages of issues that needed attention and ended up with 3½ days of work to bring the installation up to standard and produce another EICR
Dodgy EICR.... one of millions and they dont care

Many were not! Lots of C2s Listed - which are not problems when I tested & inspected
Here the BPG#4 is useful, it is not a statutory document at all, but it provides good guidance as to what can reasonably considered as C1/C2/C3 and if any differ from it they ought to provide very good justification.

That is quite possible, as it is simply guidance, but many a dodgy EICR falls at that point...
Therefore does the Original testing company "have" to come back to inspect paperwork etc & Issue a Satisfactory Report ?
Absolutely not!

(Already covered by @davesparks )

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to EICR Report - Advice regarding remedials & final Certificate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electricians on FB Group

Electricians Forums on FB

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back