Elec.. Guide.. Build.. Regs Table 4.1.2a - Is this a cooker mistake? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Elec.. Guide.. Build.. Regs Table 4.1.2a - Is this a cooker mistake? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I tend to feel that cooker circuits as they are recommended to be installed (6mm² on B32A) are one of the least safe circuits, because of the designed in overload, even if only for a short time.
However practical experience over many years shows that this is a generally a safe installation, terminal overheats aside.
This is because the operation of a cooker is such that it is practically very unlikely in domestic use to be able to cause any long term problem. I think HHD did describe s student let where the hob was used continuously for heating many pans of water for a bath as the immersion was not working, but this must be the exception.
I did some rather rough calculations on current draw in high use (14kW all switched on simultaneously) and found that the limits of the cable were exceed only for very short periods of time (5 mins) in the initial instance and that as time went on the cable was never overloaded and the circuit breaker was never closer than 15mins away from tripping.
The thermal cycling of the elements means that so long as the cooker is not being misused or the thermostats have not broken (which would lead to more rapid problems much faster than melting the cable) that the circuit will work without deterioration (even on Christmas day) since the current ratings are for 24 hour continuous loading 5 mins will reduce the life of the cable slightly over time but probably no more than a hot summer may do to the rest of the cables installed near the limits of their CCC.

I've not really read any of the previous posts, my mind still in Rhodes. I've seen loads of cooker circuits in loads of houses, loads of electric ovens connected to said circuits, and loads of hobs connected to said circuits. All been on 32amp 6mm supplies, never seen any thermal damaged cables or mcb's overloaded. Only ever had to connect a aga monster, and it's connected to a 32amp supply. There that's technical analysis of the issue.

I personally use 6mm on 32A MCB but with people saying if the cooker and hobs are all turned on then this will damage the cable as it will draw too much current, remember that the hobs don't stay on full for the complete time you are useing it (well mine doesn't any way) it will go to the max heat so it's bright red but then the element turns its self off for a bit then when the heat drops it turns its self back on all so it will not be constantly pulling the full load it will only pull it for a few seconds then one or two will turn off and by the time that one turns back on another one has turned off so it is constantly fluctuate in power it's pulling.

This is just my opinion and I could be totally wrong but it just won't be pulling the full load constantly even if every thing is turned on at once.

Reply to Elec.. Guide.. Build.. Regs Table 4.1.2a - Is this a cooker mistake? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net