Electric gate openers | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electric gate openers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Captain Beeb

Hi,
Can anyone recommend good quality electric gate opener/closers that can stand a few years constant daily use ?
Thanks,
Capt.Beep

Bumping older threads by adding new or relevant info isn't a problem. Many people who run google searches for specific advice will get older threads returned in the search results so it can be beneficial if good info is added to them.

FAAC have long been the market leaders in gate automation, but as Engineer 54 said, you need to specify the correct automation depending on the duty cycle and length/weight of gate. Once you know this, get it installed correctly by someone who's not in a rush and it'll last a lot longer! If possible, mount the control panel inside or under cover...

Funny enough i installed a swing gate automation system to our residence block last weekend. Well our contractor run in the new supply and run in a buried conduit between the 2 gate posts and did all the necessary welding of brackets/fixings etc, to the gates, and i and the Mech Eng installed the units and connected the lot up. No electrical control panel, one of the actuator bodies held all the control electronics. The system is Italian made (MOOVO XW5), card operated for entry, sensor operated for exit. No idea if it's a good make or whatever, but so far no problems after a week, but i'll not be holding my breath. ..lol!!

None that i've ever come across ever had i'm afraid!!! OK they maybe in a far different environment than will be present in the UK, but can't in all honesty say they would fair any better in the UK!!

Here in Cyprus, a repair technician will generally be required on a monthly to 2 monthly basis to undertake repairs or install replacement parts. Doesn't seem to matter which type of opener is involved either, or what type of controls. ....That is mind, ...with a fairly heavy daily constant use.
well...
theres them ones with the hydraulic actuators....
their allrite ..but a pig to set up.....and cant stand much stick when the gates are closed (intruders)....
the retro fits are good (well , some of em anyway)....what these use it a nyloil acme nut...(think half nuts on lathes/millers etc).....which locates and runs on an acme thread.....
its a cheap and reasonable solution to getting linear action out of a rotary action....
due to the nature of such a drive layout the resistance to unwanted opening will be high....
but do not forget that its a long way that nyloil nut to travel everytime the gates are actuated.....
wear n tear......

Hi
Although the CAME kits are good they are mainly for heavy usage as are FAAC - when looking for electric gates you need to mention the type of gate and the usage.
Liftmaster have several kits that are ideal for residential use - BFT and FAAC have kits for more commercial usage.
If you have a solid wooden gate you will need to get professional advice - fitting the wrong kit will void your warranty
NB - the most dangerous gates are the sliders, when fitting sliding gates you need to get the correct safety edges and then insist on a signed force test to ensure the install is compliant
Electric Gate Openers, Automatic Gate Kits for sliding gates, underground motors-remotes can provide you more information if you need it.

Hi,
sorry for backing up this topic but i think it can be really usefull for all people who are also searching for gate automation.
If you looking for endurance and reliability of drive you should consider power supply. From my experience it's much more better to invest in 24 V.d.c. power than 230 V.

Also the second think you should consider is what kind of gate you have. It is long/short, swing/sliding, heavy/light. There are variable options. If you like to have nice looking drive, with much of electronical functions and security options you should consider NICE Swing Gate Operator. If you would like to have hydraulic drive with ensure MAXIMUM! of endurance for drives best option will be FAAC gate automation. Most popular motors for sliding gates is Hormann and they are realative cheap for they quality (comaping them to all Italian companies).

If anyone have any question about gate automation just PM me and i will replay as fast as possible :)

Best regards,
Fanatykish
botech-shop.com team

Last edited by a moderator:
Mighty Mule is probably the most popular automatic gate opener. According to the manufacturer, it can handle gates with a maximum length of 18 ft and a weight of 850 lbs. It comes with remote control. So you don’t have to get out of the car. It runs on both the AC power source and solar panel. Also, in case of power failure, it has a battery backup. The device is available for both single and double door gates.

Reply to Electric gate openers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net