Electric Gate | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electric Gate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looking at a job to install an electric gate. Now the problem arises with the sensor which will stop the gates closing if theres someone in the way. The problem is the gates open in opposite directions and basically have to go this way due to the limited opening the other way.

The gates are about 5ft high so the sensor cant go above the gate on each post as its too high, the sensors cant go on the post as they are, as one gate will block it depending on which side of the post you put the sensor.

So any ideas?

Ive done a little drawing too explain what I mean.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Electric Gate

The red lines being the gates and the dotted red line are how far the gates open when they are swung the other way.

Now Id like to claim copyright on this drawing as it took some time and effort for 5 mins so I dont want it appearing on your websites or in your company portfolios. Thanks.

i have dealt with CAME gates based in Nottingham they will offer you a great technical help service and will tell you what products to use. set an account up and get great discounts, and top quality product range.
Regards Darren

Brightspark, there is a huge difference between installing a gate system and designing one with all that legally entails. Personally, I would get a professional gate/barrier company to come in and design/manufacture a safe, suitable system, then connect it as per their instructions. After working in industry for over 15 years and seeing what can happen when something goes wrong with PEC's and sensors, I would strongly recommend that you let someone else deal with designing this, however tempting it is to have a go yourself.

Brightspark, there is a huge difference between installing a gate system and designing one with all that legally entails. Personally, I would get a professional gate/barrier company to come in and design/manufacture a safe, suitable system, then connect it as per their instructions. After working in industry for over 15 years and seeing what can happen when something goes wrong with PEC's and sensors, I would strongly recommend that you let someone else deal with designing this, however tempting it is to have a go yourself.

I understand completely what your saying, all true.

This is only in verbal stages at the moment, I woudlnt be designing anything from scratch. A client asked, I looked and thought hhhhmmm how would we install the sensors. We have experiance in electric gates/barriers although not designing something from scratch more as you say installing pre-wired units and then wiring in the sensors, switches etc. :smiley2:

i have dealt with CAME gates based in Nottingham they will offer you a great technical help service and will tell you what products to use. set an account up and get great discounts, and top quality product range.
Regards Darren

Yeh had quite a lot of experiance with CAME units. Most of the sites we work at have CAME barriers.

Sorry bright spark 2 from your original post I assumed that you already had a generic system in place and were simply adding additional sensors to it to assist its functioning.
I could design something for you but realistically if your not familiar with control systems then it would be a pain really.
If it were me doing that it would be going through a mini plc in an auxiliary cabinet somewhere,that way you could program numerous sensors and conditions to be met before the gates moved,this is more for safety than convenience.
The minimum to me would be hard wired limits at the end of each gates rotation as us practice with moving objects in industry,sensors alone are never relied on.

Reply to Electric Gate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net