Currently reading:
Electric meter advice

Discuss Electric meter advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Stevejd58

DIY
Reaction score
To be clear I have no intention of messing with this, I just need to pick a few brains on the following.

British gas are sending me this on a regular basis, a ploy I think to get me to install a smart meter which i don't want.

"The radio service that supports your meter is being switched off. So we need to replace your electricity meter to make sure it continues to work after June 2025.
Your current meter switches rates using a radio signal, helping your meter change between day and night rates. This is often used by people who have electric storage systems, panel heaters or immersion heaters in water tanks – as some of these typically charge up overnight."

My current meter is an AMPY Reporter 5184A which, if I have read the manual correctly Ampy 5184A manual doesn't have a radio connection.
Have I got this right and its a BG trick to get me to swap to a smart meter?

Older properties may have a meter and a separate teleswitch, which does need the radio signal.

Is there any other big black box near the meter?

Can you send a photo?
No other boxes bar the main fuse

Attachments

• 449409312_776716894675823_6862844112047632769_n.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 449418097_352479154617883_9164149363941674329_n.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 28
Ok… it’s just there’s only one set of tails going from this meter into the house… it needs to split somewhere to power the overnight storage heaters just at night.
Hi
economy 7 was pretty much a default install in the old Eastern Electricity board days, previous owners never took it out. In this house it meant the fridge freezer ran cheaper, never been any storage heaters as its been gas heated since the 60s.

Have I got this right and its a BG trick to get me to swap to a smart meter?
I think you are right that the Ampy meter does not have a time code receiver on board. From another post I saw it appears to have a real time clock (which by now is probably wrong!). It is a dual tariff meter and has a contactor on board to switch an off peak CU - clearly no longer connected.

I hope the house has been on a single tariff since the E7 was abandoned, so presumably you are just being charged a normal single rate.

One issue is that the meter will be out of its certification period after 20 years, and I have read that in this circumstance your supplier now has a right to change the meter to a smart meter without your agreement. However if they have any dumb meters still available they might offer you one, or they may be willing to set up a smart meter in "dumb mode"? I think you would need to provide a justification of why you need a dumb meter, given the suppliers are charged with the job of rolling out smart.

Last edited:
I think you are right that the Ampy meter does not have a time code receiver on board. From another post I saw it appears to have a real time clock (which by now is probably wrong!). It is a dual tariff meter and has a contactor on board to switch an off peak CU - clearly no longer connected.

I hope the house has been on a single tariff since the E7 was abandoned, so presumably you are just being charged a normal single rate.

One issue is that the meter will be out of its certification period after 20 years, and I have read that in this circumstance your supplier now has a right to change the meter to a smart meter without your agreement. However if they have any dumb meters still available they might offer you one, or they may be willing to set up a smart meter in "dumb mode"? I think you would need to provide a justification of why you need a dumb meter, given the suppliers are charged with the job of rolling out smart.
My bills don't state Economy 7 but I am being charged at 2 rates. the clock is out by 4 hours but still date correct
Meter was certified in Nov 05 so not quite out yet.
when you say "has a contactor on board to switch an off peak CU - clearly no longer connected" can you explain more please

The contactor would switch in at a given time and allow power to flow into another set of tails to power just the overnight heating…. But you don’t have this other set of tails
So effectively i dont have to change my meter yet as its still in certification until next year (20yrs) but basically BG are using scare tactics around the RTS to get me on a smart meter to boost their numbers.
So it's a meter change inevitably but as it is under current rules, I don't have to accept a smart meter, it's either a dumb meter or a smart in dumb mode

when you say "has a contactor on board to switch an off peak CU - clearly no longer connected" can you explain more please
Thank you to littlespark for clarifying my mumbo jumbo.

Just to say that being on a dual tariff means you will typically pay more for electricity during the day, and a lot less for night time. To give an idea of the difference, it can work out that at least 40% of your total usage needs to be at night for it to be cheaper to be on a dual tariff. The fact your clock is 4 hours out makes the comparison more difficult, but you might find you could get lower bills on a single tariff. I gather there are on-line calculators to help work out which is best, so could be worth exploring.
PS to clarify - changing tariff does not mean the meter has to be changed.
And you're right, the time code broadcast switch-off is irrelevant for this meter

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Electric meter advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock