electric on all the copper plumbing in the house | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss electric on all the copper plumbing in the house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTerzi

DIY
Reaction score
I wonder if theres any good experienced electrician out there that can help me in enfield EN2 area with a problem. Im getting light electric shocks from all the taps (copper plumbing) in the house when i stand barefoot. even when the the main fuse is switched off. The shocks are very mild. I had an electrician come over but he couldn't fix it. The DNO did some test on the main power cable and the readings were fine according to them. If you are around Enfield please contact me.

When the electrician removes the earth thats coming in from the outside it solves the problem but again that earth has to be connected
And theirin almost certainly lies the issue.I do not believe there is an electrical problem as such.The issue lies with the "high" neutral(several volts above "true earth,not unusual).As the neutral and earth are connected together in a TNCS system,the earth wire is transporting the neutral volt drop around the home.
Not an issue usually in modern homes but tiles on concrete delivers a much lower resistance than wooden flooring.
Inserting plastic pipes in the main metallic services may work but only if there are no class 1 appliances connected to the plumbing (which is unlikely)

No link in the service head.

Disconnecting the main earth at the CU apparently stops the tingles, but if there was no link in the head then it wouldn't make any difference as it would already be disconnected. The capacitive leakage on that length of SWA probably couldn't deliver enough current into the MET to be felt, when also shunted to earth by the CPCs of the rest of the installation and anything extraneous and bonded.

So then it is something the DNO have not picked up then. Need to get them back and get rid of the cable you or your "electrician" put in before they arrive. It is a crime to abstract electricity which is what you are doing.

@MTerzi are you saying the DNO installed that cable because if they did you need to be contacting them. For them to connect a cable like that is very bizarre, it isn't being metered.
No The DNO replaced the main wire but left the final connections to be done by the electrician that messed up badly he is coming in tomorrow to correct his fault with the meter.

And theirin almost certainly lies the issue.I do not believe there is an electrical problem as such.The issue lies with the "high" neutral(several volts above "true earth,not unusual).As the neutral and earth are connected together in a TNCS system,the earth wire is transporting the neutral volt drop around the home.
Not an issue usually in modern homes but tiles on concrete delivers a much lower resistance than wooden flooring.
Inserting plastic pipes in the main metallic services may work but only if there are no class 1 appliances connected to the plumbing (which is unlikely)
yes i got tiles on concrete in the bathoom and kitchen.

The fact that you get the tingles with the main switch off means that your own installation is pretty much guaranteed not to be the cause. Post 2 by @pc1966 hits the most likely nail on the head, a difference between the incoming CNE voltage and local true earth. When you felt the tingles, were you standing on a concrete floor?

That cable from the meter box is utterly bonkers. Are you sure it was the DNO who installed it and not someone whose experience is in 'loft-based horticulture?' Armour floating, unsheathed cores exposed, Inadequate support, possibly no SF for >3m, and the minor detail of missing out the meter. Did one guy do the outside end and another the inside, so that they each thought the relevant meter was at the other end? I'm at a complete loss to explain it otherwise.
Yes (wet) tiles on concrete floor cant feel it on the wooden floor.

Also if it'sa iss
Disconnecting the main earth at the CU apparently stops the tingles, but if there was no link in the head then it wouldn't make any difference as it would already be disconnected. The capacitive leakage on that length of SWA probably couldn't deliver enough current into the MET to be felt, when also shunted to earth by the CPCs of the rest of the installation and anything extraneous and bonded.
Thank you so much for the input. So only the DNO will be able to fix this? am i correct? Also can this be dangerous when we use the bathroom or shower?

The report that the DNO gave me says that the readings from single phase cutout are 252v 0.20 ELI Polarity was completed. They said that all the readings are how they supposed to be.

I think you need to clarify what is going on here.
Who installed the cable between the service head and consumer unit.
Have the DNO ever been involved.
Is this a new installation.
Have you done these works.

Reactions: DPG
Also there is an issue with the ferrules / crimps for link used for the surge protector. The same size and thus colour should have been used for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to electric on all the copper plumbing in the house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net