Electric shower | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electric shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ryan24

Hi all,

i am am looking at installing an electric shower in my property. The problem is it is an old 4way wylex consumer unit with no rcd or spare ways. All the circuits fed of the cu are run in old imperial conduit with no cpcs. The conduit is used as the cpc. Will it be ok to just replace the consumer unit and add the shower to this. If I use rcbos for all the existing circuits will they still be ok just using the conduit as cpc? Also if I use rcbos will I still need bonding in the bathroom as all pipework is copper? The main fuse is 60a is it ok add 10kw shower to the new board? Thanks in advance everyone

7KW will never do, has no one told you that in this modern world bigger is always better!
Just because years ago a 7KW shower was perfectly hot enough these days you have to have at least 10KW so that you can turn the temperature control to nearly zero and get a hot enough shower.

/sarcasm

7KW will never do, has no one told you that in this modern world bigger is always better!
Just because years ago a 7KW shower was perfectly hot enough these days you have to have at least 10KW so that you can turn the temperature control to nearly zero and get a hot enough shower.

/sarcasm

you've missed the point. the whole issue is that your shower is 0.5kW bigger than the jones's down the road

The ways in those Wylex boards are normally only designed for 30A each, if you wanted a higher load they used to do a board with a seperate 'higher load' way, often mounted on the other side of the main switch.

The main switches for those Wylex CU's were ALL rated to only 60A too....

As for the shower rating, i have a 4.2KW shower here, and it's plenty hot enough even when the temp' drops to below 0c.... These 10 KW and above showers are just a total nonsense, and an expensive to run nonsense too!! lol!!

Reply to Electric shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net