electric sign off | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss electric sign off in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My father (now 80 years of age) has renovated a house. The electrician has rewired it, the building regs people have inspected it and gave the go ahead to plasterboard and finish it. At this point the electrician disappeared, we have asked in the village, one said he passed away in covid, now my father has a house but no signed off electrics. I have phoned the building regs people and they say find a new electrician to inspect and sign off (provide a part P?) but this appears difficult. Does anyone know what he can do as he is not sleeping at all while this hangs over him.

Typically Building Control will accept an EICR (electrical installation condition report) which is the outcome of a test & inspection of the installation.

thank you, can any electrician undertake this work? i have been phoning some of the smaller/one man bands thinking they might want the job but they say no they cant 'sign off' the work done by another, maybe i am using the wrong words?

Explain the issue to building control.

ask them if they will accept an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report)
they should under the circumstances.

Ask the electrician (should be registered with a scheme i.e. Nappit or nic etc. to provide an EICR
submit the report to building control.
Job done!

Reactions: SJD
Thank you that is a great help, it is impossible to explain how stressful it has been to see him feeling trapped with all his pension trapped in a house he couldn't sell if he even wanted to. This will help a lot and let us all sleep. The thought of stripping all the plaster off (which is what we have been thinking) has kept us awake.

This situation is not uncommon and is absolutely nothing to lose sleep over. There are plenty of properties sold without the 'required' electrical paperwork in place, and any solicitor involved will know how to bypass it.
As said above, and EICR is one way.

Reply to electric sign off in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net