Electrical Concerns | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electrical Concerns in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

And there's mistake number two.

NEVER assume anything with electricity.

You don't have to be an electrician to tell the difference between a SINGLE and A DOUBLE.

Would you be happy if I just assumed your electrics were safe, and then your house burnt down?

How arrogant you are.

Calm down Bill.

You never know he may be partially sighted due to all that time sitting in front of his computer with Pam and her five sisters!

Single sockets in bedrooms are very common, we don't have crystal balls here and assume worst case scenario!

That's news to me. None of the rooms in my house have < 2 sockets per room (Bedrooms also). I would think the same goes for any house built > 1990's.

A twin socket is still only rated at 13 amps, NOT 26 amps, google it!

"Each socket (presumably for flat pin plugs) is designed to deliver a maximum of 13 amps - hence the 13 amp fuse you find in new plugs. Thus a double socket can supply no more than 26 amps. The current is given by dividing the power rating of the appliance connected by the voltage thus for a 250 volt supply a three kilowatt appliance will draw 12 amps.
Now, electric sockets are connected to the fuse/circuit breaker board by a ring main and this is fused (or circuit breakered) to a maximum of 30 amps (32 for circuit breakers) Hence one double socket supplying two three kilowatt appliances does not leave very much spare for other appliances connected elsewhere in the ring main. Depending on how old your wiring is, you may have one ring main wiring all the sockets in the house, or all the sockets on a floor, and in my house I have put a separate ring in for my kitchen. You can tell how many ring mains you probably have by counting the fuses you have at 30 amps (circuit breakers at 32)."

Already did before posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
All MK socket-outlets are manufactured to comply with BS1363 part 2: 1995 and are rated at 13A per unit. Double socket-outlets have been manufactured and tested to exceed this rating by margin that allows electrical safety and reduces the risk of heat and mechanical damage to components due to overloading. It should be noted that BS1363 part 2: 1995 does not allow double sockets to operate at twice the permissible maximum loading and it should be remembered that double socket-outlets are not manufactured to be able to withstand a 26A load for sustained periods of time.

Research by ourselves and third party organisations has shown that all MK double sockets can safely withstand a continuous load of 19.5A for an indefinite period. Increasing the load slightly will begin to cause heat and mechanical stresses on the components in a relatively short period. Testing showed that a load of 22.3A was sufficient to cause heat stress that would cause a browning of the faceplates and sufficient heat to cause insulation damage to cable cores. A load of 24A for 43 hours was sufficient to cause significant heat damage to the material in which the socket-outlet was situated and within 75 hours sufficient to cause significant damage that would lead to the very real potential of fire.

MK recommend that users of their sockets consult professional design Engineers when designing installations to avoid the possibility of heat and mechanical stress to components and installations caused by overloading of MK socket-outlets.

"Each socket (presumably for flat pin plugs) is designed to deliver a maximum of 13 amps - hence the 13 amp fuse you find in new plugs. Thus a double socket can supply no more than 26 amps. The current is given by dividing the power rating of the appliance connected by the voltage thus for a 250 volt supply a three kilowatt appliance will draw 12 amps.
Now, electric sockets are connected to the fuse/circuit breaker board by a ring main and this is fused (or circuit breakered) to a maximum of 30 amps (32 for circuit breakers) Hence one double socket supplying two three kilowatt appliances does not leave very much spare for other appliances connected elsewhere in the ring main. Depending on how old your wiring is, you may have one ring main wiring all the sockets in the house, or all the sockets on a floor, and in my house I have put a separate ring in for my kitchen. You can tell how many ring mains you probably have by counting the fuses you have at 30 amps (circuit breakers at 32)."

Already did before posting.

Quote the site you got it from too. That's only polite. Even if it's junk. And wrong.

Oh, whatever.

the problem comes when u have rcds and too much computer equipment as there is a danger of the rcd tripping due to the amount of earth leakage....perhaps....

Ahhh now this is more like it. An actual explanation.

Thanks.

I don't really think you came here for an explanation, you've practically abused experienced guys who've given good, free advice!

Go back to your 3 inch floppy!

Damn, this thread has made it to 4 pages in the space of 30 minutes.

You electricians are rushing in here to see what's going on.

Did someone ring the dinner bell at the old people home?

Reply to Electrical Concerns in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net