Electrical sign off | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electrical sign off in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

bridgend... rocker or lenny are your local experts down there.

Have a word with LABC first,it cant be £500,and its too late for them to get someone to issue an installation certificate(needed to be the installer),if you look up part p of the building regulations this will explain more on the legal side of things,remember that you have personally done NOTHING WRONG,apart from trying to save a few quid,if you get it tested by an approved electrician,and all is up to the current regulations,i cant see there being many other issues,what else can you do-my answer nothing,fair play to you coming on here looking for advice,and i hope that you get things sorted out quickly,let us know how you get on.

If Bridgend labc are as dis interested as most of the Valley councils,the chances are they will have little to no interest in your rewiring, unless you bring it to their attention in the first place

Vast amounts of people are in your situation,most are unaware that they have indeed broken the law
Part p is a very vague, if not unknown building reg, as far as most of the general public are concerned

Where a problem may arise if you keep mum about the work,is the future sale of the house, with increasing numbers of solicitors and insurance companies asking for certification and part p notification
In those cases,generally a Pir is used as a remedy before the sale of the house goes ahead

The councils do operate a regularisation process in cases such as yours,but that may be expensive, and may cause upheaval in the worst cases, with some pedantic council official throwing his weight around because of your mistake

If the certification is for your piece of mind only,I would suggest a Pir by a competent person ( not all electricians are fully competent for doing so by the way)
It would be best to make sure that the person you employ, is in fact ,well qualified and experienced,you dont want to compound your mistakes

Leave the labc in ignorance of the rewiring,because as I have stated,here in Wales it seems to be much much less of importance than in England

Trouble also is nobody will know apart from your mate how the cables were installed eg in the perscribed zones etc and if he drilled into beams if they were drilled correctly so as not to effect the strength of the beams etc so apart from as said a PIR the only option is a full uncover to check these things and any damage to the cables possible from a plasterers trowel etc or joins concealed in walls and design etc ! the list is endless plus how would his work buddy know its done without any problems ? ! not trying so scare you but this is the importance of as said using a registered spark.
Your not the only one its happend to and not the last.
Where is the house ? as said mabe one of us mabe able to do a very thorough PIR and at least make you feel better.

Had the Part P scheme been properly enforced and all trades/public informed to it's importance then you and many other would not find themselves in this situation.

I wouldn't feel too badly about making this mistake. Guaranteed you don't make it again.

I would certainly make your mate sweat some though, he has broken the law if he is unable to certificate the installation so put the pressure on so that he realises the importance too ;)

Do you know if your mate has tested the work that has been done so far?

Hi,

In my opinion your major worry would be insurance.

As others have said, very few members of the public are aware of Part P and the requirements - but you can bet a years earnings that the 'Insurance Companies' are aware.

If, God Forbid, something went wrong and you had to submit a claim for damages, I'm pretty sure the first thing the insurance company would say is 'Where is the 'Electrical Installation Certificate' and 'Completion Certificate' for this installation?'

And producing a PIR might not be good enough - they look for any loop hole not to pay, remember.

Best course of action is get down to your local 'Building Control' and tell them what has happened and do what they advise - regardless of the cost.
Possibly even consult your 'Insurance Company' and get confirmation in writing that your proposed plan to put this right is acceptable.

Only my opinion, mind.:)

Reply to Electrical sign off in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net