electrical tools | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss electrical tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
Reaction score
I know i probably am long in the tooth, but how do people cut out the wall for the knock out boxes. Most of the houses down here either have bricks as hard as rock, or the walls are pretty much falling down.
I have considered trying out the cut out tool which allegedly cuts the perfect hole, but i can't see how that can be of help unless you are cutting into thermolite blocks. I currently stitch drill and bolster out, but it is laborious

Those cut out tools aren't much good for bricks, never used one but I think they were designed for new build, thermalite blocks etc, I f you have a particularly hard wall, use a masonry drill set to the depth of the box, drill a series of holes and cut the debris out with a 3" bolster, job done

I know i probably am long in the tooth, but how do people cut out the wall for the knock out boxes. Most of the houses down here either have bricks as hard as rock, or the walls are pretty much falling down.
I have considered trying out the cut out tool which allegedly cuts the perfect hole, but i can't see how that can be of help unless you are cutting into thermolite blocks. I currently stitch drill and bolster out, but it is laborious

Scutch (combe) chisel is the way to go. Been using for ages

SDS on roto stop, use good quality chisel bits- not the cheap ones unbranded bits.
These are good
Armeg Electrical Box Sinker Chisel Hard Material | Electrical Box Sinkers | NoLinkingToThis
Armeg SDS Plus Scutch Comb Chisel | SDS Plus Chisels | NoLinkingToThis

Have 2 chisel bits to hand, swap them over every few minutes or they get too hot and the shaft will snap.

Also lots of elbow grease

for hard bricks and neat hole cut with a grinder with diamond blade (very dusty, only on unoccupied places with no other trades around)
or wall chaser+hoover combo. then chisel out with a SDS with flat chisel.
10 minutes or less with some practice :)

There is some tool on the market that will drill a hole for a box that also has a hoover attached along side, something like a Henry type hoover. Mate of mine see's an electrician using it all the time and wonders why I don't use one. My needs don't warrant getting one, but if chopping boxes in all the time, worth looking into I think.

angle grinder with diamond blade, then sds scutch. done 5 boxes ( including fixing ) in hard as rock brick in an hour last week, and i'm 68, not some young fit sparky bod.

angle grinder with diamond blade, then sds scutch. done 5 boxes ( including fixing ) in hard as rock brick in an hour last week, and i'm 68, not some young fit sparky bod.
...Well i'm 94,and i did 6 boxes in 45 minutes...of course,the other folks in the communal lounge were not pleased about the dust on their jigsaw...:wheelchair:

i use a flat chisel bit in 18v sds, works fine for me, i usually only have a couple mm around to fill

if it is solid brick or im chopping in a meter box ill use a 240v bosh angle grinder.

if its on a site ill borrow a cordless grinder (its not worth me paying £80+ for someling ill use every 6months or so)

With a comb chisel on solid brick like engineering brick or ones without a hollow but, you can get a nice clean hole with a comb chisel, but it just depends on what you are up against, some blocks or bricks just fall apart looking at them. I always carry a few bags of 20 min easi fill plaster to make a nice job.

Reply to electrical tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net