Emergency light not coming on, batteries or replacement lamps? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Emergency light not coming on, batteries or replacement lamps? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there trainee electrician, when im doing monthly flick testing and an emergency light doesnt illuminate at all, how do i know if i need to replace the batteries or fit replacement lamps?

Does the charge indicator function?
You can try a new tube if you have one it can do the trick if they aren't being regularly maintained. If they are standard bulkheads it is not worth replacing individual parts it is more cost effective to completely replace.

Does the charge indicator function?
You can try a new tube if you have one it can do the trick if they aren't being regularly maintained. If they are standard bulkheads it is not worth replacing individual parts it is more cost effective to completely replace.
Yeah the charge indicator works fine, just wasn’t sure if I was missing something obvious to know if it was the batteries or lamp that have failed

Yeah the charge indicator works fine, just wasn’t sure if I was missing something obvious to know if it was the batteries or lamp that have failed
It could be both that have failed
When was the last full test of the emergency lighting carried out the battery may be ok for a quick test but can it operate for it's rated time
The batteries are prone to failure due to the amount of time they spend on charge might worth checking the date on the batteries

As above, it generally isn’t worth your time to find out. If it’s a standard bulkhead that still has a tube (and isn’t LED) the chances are it’s overdue replacement anyway.
So basically, just replace it!

Unless they've been dead for years, a duff battery will usually illuminate the fitting for a few seconds at least, so, as a general rule, no illumination at all, then it's not (just) the battery that has failed.

Reply to Emergency light not coming on, batteries or replacement lamps? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net