Emergency light test key switches. | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Emergency light test key switches. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkticus

hi, could anyone advise me on the best way of putting some key switches in please.

The job is in a convenience store which has 8 E.L fittings spread over 5 lighting circuits. (the building is over 100 years old and had many additions/shop re-fits and extensions to it)

i have identified the circuits that need the key switches on and was going to put a multi gang grid switch next to C.U. and bring the feeds into these switches and then switch lines away.
My thinking was that this would be a lot cheaper to install and also easier to test the E.L. in the future as all switches are in same location.
Would this be allowed? Would this need a minor works certificate? When testing, it would put parts of the shop floor in darkness, so is out of hours testing the only option?
Any advice or opinions would be grateful, as would any tips or info on E.L installs as not really covered it in my training

Cheers

All the OP needs to do is wire a Perm feed from the installed key switches and to each fitting on the applicable circuits, may be easier said than done depending on the existing installation, if the install is trunking run to klik roses then easy peasy...

Bit of a guess here, but what jumps out at me is this place has 5 lighting circuits and only 8ems, doesnt seem like much to me considering the number of lighting circuits. Obviously a complete guess as do not know details layout ect.

A firm i used to work for was obsessed with key switches, in situations like this we used to install key switches next to each fitting. If they need replacing could consider self test units.

Bit of a guess here, but what jumps out at me is this place has 5 lighting circuits and only 8ems, doesnt seem like much to me considering the number of lighting circuits. Obviously a complete guess as do not know details layout ect.

A firm i used to work for was obsessed with key switches, in situations like this we used to install key switches next to each fitting. If they need replacing could consider self test units.
That a quick way around, if using a looped lighting circuit, Here the idea is to keep everything in one place, on grid switches. Nice and neat, plus easy to find lights switches and test switches.

Hi, cheers for the response
Just a few more points I should add, no chance of a re-wire, the client is way to tight for that.
I thought it was strange to have so many lighting circuits for 1 floor but the building has had re-fits and walls knocked down over the past as well as being two shops knocked into one.
The job is to put in E.L. test key switches in, which for some reason were not installed with the E.L. fittings, so I thought my only options are to put a key switch at each switch turning them into a two gang switch or what i originally posted. Also it is a single phase supply.
So these alterations would need a minor works? if so, I will suggest the installation needs testing before any works get carried out as I know it would of had Bob the builder doing the 'Electricks' during the numerous shop fits in the past.
Could anyone suggest some decent material on wiring/diagrams E.L. installations and what someone would do from scratch as in this new job I've I got, these stores seem to have alot of the same issues, where there are not enough light fittings or no key switches or just no E.L. at all. Just one thing to remember is the client is very tight so the cheapest option will always be the one chosen, which is why I think there are non-maintained bulkheads dotted about the premises just feed from the nearest fitting.

Reply to Emergency light test key switches. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net