EV charging question | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss EV charging question in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

After completing this very course, it made my mind up for me, not to bother getting involved with EV. Its not a good business decision for a one man band like myself.

More regs, more paper work and less time to spend away from working!
Absolute ditto.

I did the course and came to exactly the same conclusion.

OP, could you clarify - were you meaning make the whole house electrical system TT?
Yes the wiring regulations states you cannot install a car charging unit onto a PME supplied installation if you are to install the car charger as a TT system on it’s own there cannot be any metal conductive parts or class 1 external light fitting within a 10 metre area of the charging point which on a new housing estate would be impossible to achieve

I’ve done a load more research on these EV charging points and I’ve now found out that a company called Zappi is producing a charging point that doesn’t require an earth rod the model you need to check out is the Zappi V2

I’ve done a load more research on these EV charging points and I’ve now found out that a company called Zappi is producing a charging point that doesn’t require an earth rod the model you need to check out is the Zappi V2
There’s another one, probably more now. See post 28.

Theres about half a dozen companies making EV chargers that dont require TT'ing.Zappi's are on an 18 week order time at the moment.

@leebut you said you cant install a charger on a PME system, but I'm sure you are aware that statement isn't correct if you did the course?

Theres about half a dozen companies making EV chargers that dont require TT'ing.Zappi's are on an 18 week order time at the moment.

@leebut you said you cant install a charger on a PME system, but I'm sure you are aware that statement isn't correct if you did the course?
I did the course, the regs say you can’t install on a PME supply due to the risk the earth might fail

But there isn't a high risk of the earth failing, there is a high risk if the supply neutral were to fail.
These two things are very different.
On PME if the neutral cable is to get damaged the earth also fails as it’s the same conductor!!

hence the IET’s concern!!

On PME if the neutral cable is to get damaged the earth also fails as it’s the same conductor!!

hence the IET’s concern!!

Yes, but that doesn't mean there is a high risk of it failing, it means there is a high risk if it fails.
The risk of it failing is low,

Yes, but that doesn't mean there is a high risk of it failing, it means there is a high risk if it fails.
The risk of it failing is low,
I’m not the one making the Regs or arguing over them I’m just trying to comply with them, if the Regs say we can’t install an EV charging point on a PME we don’t do it, otherwise what happens if someone gets killed through your neglect.

I don’t like the idea that they say you convert the home to a TT system from PME, what happens when another electrician comes along again who doesn’t know the Regs reconnects to the PME and someone dies how do YOU prove you did what you did correctly and someone else has changed it, because he’s not going to admit the changes if he’s facing a manslaughter charge!!

I did the course, the regs say you can’t install on a PME supply due to the risk the earth might fail
No they dont and it was that I was trying to tease out of you. If the charger and charging is to be indoors then PME can be used. If you ddi the course you'll have the IET GN on the matter - see page 39. Your comment is correct (sort of) for outdoor charging but you did not reference PME and outdoor charging.

No they dont and it was that I was trying to tease out of you. If the charger and charging is to be indoors then PME can be used. If you ddi the course you'll have the IET GN on the matter - see page 39. Your comment is correct (sort of) for outdoor charging but you did not reference PME and outdoor charging.
99% of installations are going to be external installations where you can’t use PME, Yes I do have the guidance notes, if you look at my post #15 I’ve photographed and highlighted the pages from my Guidance on installation of EV AND YES I HAVE READ ABOUT INTERNAL INSTALLATIONS.

so does your comments mean you would install an EV charger in someone’s porch at the front of their house and the car be outside and that’s acceptable NO!!

the vehicle is to be charged in the garage with the charging point in the same garage, now be honest is that your normal installation again NO!!
[automerge]1574437157[/automerge]
99% of installations are going to be external installations where you can’t use PME, Yes I do have the guidance notes, if you look at my post #15 I’ve photographed and highlighted the pages from my Guidance on installation of EV AND YES I HAVE READ ABOUT INTERNAL INSTALLATIONS.

so does your comments mean you would install an EV charger in someone’s porch at the front of their house and the car be outside and that’s acceptable NO!!

the vehicle is to be charged in the garage with the charging point in the same garage, now be honest is that your normal installation again NO!!
[ElectriciansForums.net] EV charging question
[automerge]1574437230[/automerge]
[ElectriciansForums.net] EV charging question
And there you go that’s my proof I did my 2919 course

Your post #15 does not support your statement that PME is not allowed, it clearly says that a PME connection can be used when certain requirements are met.

So PME can be used subject to certain requirements,

We are not allowed to quote regulations anymore but 722.411.4.1
Basically says a PME earthing facility shall not be used unless one of the following methods are used......
The third indent (iii) is the one that the Zappi charger and others appear to have complied with which in a nut shell disconnects the Live conductors as well as CPC from the charging point in the event of a PEN fault.

I haven't done the course, so happy to be corrected.

Last edited:
Your post #15 does not support your statement that PME is not allowed, it clearly says that a PME connection can be used when certain requirements are met.

So PME can be used subject to certain requirements,
My point was I was being accused of NOT doing the course or having the Guidance notes book on EV charging so I flicked back to see the post where I had copied in my Guidance notes that was all!!

Reply to EV charging question in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net