Currently reading:
UK Exposed Live Wires Under Bedroom Floor?

Discuss Exposed Live Wires Under Bedroom Floor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was trying to fix a cold radiator when I came across some exposed cable and copper wire under the floor boards, a quick test with a voltage pen showed live. Not sure what kind of voltage they're putting out, wouldn't the RCD trip if they were dangerous? I covered the ends with electrical tape for now.

If any electricians can give some advice please, especially those covering the Bishop Auckland area.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20240618_161522.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240618_163644.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 53
It could the old black rubber cable(s) are being back fed from a missed jb or connection somewhere ?
When I first looked at it I thought the black rubber cables were left there following a rewire and voltage is being induced on to them from the new installation because of the cable running parallel to each other

When I first looked at it I thought the black rubber cables were left there following a rewire and voltage is being induced on to them from the new installation because of the cable running parallel to each other
Could well be induced voltage that the OPs volt stick is picking up on

But like wise , I have been to houses that were rewired and old bits of the rubber cable were still connected and live

Live wires under floorboards?
any years ago, when my daughter was just a crawling stage, we were having a new carpet fitted in an upstairs room. We had stripped out the old carpet and underlay, awaiting the carpet fitters. Said daughter was crawling around the room and and as it was a bit dusty form the old inderlay I scooped her up and placed her into the upstairs landing. As I turned to shut the door my (bare) foot made contact with a nail in a floorboard and I recieved quite a hefty belt. Yup, nail through board and into a t&e below. I guess the old carpet and underlay had protected this "live" nail for many years, but I dread to think what might have happened had my wee lass crawled over that nail.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Exposed Live Wires Under Bedroom Floor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock