external conduit run domestic | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss external conduit run domestic in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am going to run some conduit outside on a bunglow for some security lighting with stand alone pir,s i want to run in metal conduit and pull both the light cable and pir cable through the same length of conduit but not sure if it will look right in a domestic situation ,not keen on using black plastic would any one eles use metal ??

Whats the reason you can't use plastic? TBH metal conduit will probs look fine (i cant see what the bungalow looks like though) but i think its overkill for domestic property personally

yes i have bender,former die,s ect having to run in conduit as it is a flat roof extension other wise would drop down from the loft and yes i have done conduit before just not quick so measure twice bend once lol

Last edited:
I would use galvanized conduit shouldnt need to much bending to be honest on a bungalow just get end boxes and drill the back out them when you get the end of building instead of bending round it, how getting to accessories from the conduit are you using T boxes and Right angle boxes with stuffing glandes and flex, just connector block in the boxes

Hi maestro as you said straight run of conduit with t boxs then gland then flex to light/pir going to pull supply to security lights and pir,s through same conduit ,droping down from the t box to the light then pir wires straight through the t,box to the pir,s reason is pir,s are not near the lights

Hi maestro as you said straight run of conduit with t boxs then gland then flex to light/pir going to pull supply to security lights and pir,s through same conduit ,droping down from the t box to the light then pir wires straight through the t,box to the pir,s reason is pir,s are not near the lights

With any externally installed conduit system, (metallic or PVC) don't forget the box lid sealing gaskets...

I've put CCTV camera cabling inside black PVC before now, and found that if you can get your drops to run alongside the guttering and downpipes / under the soffit etc then it just 'disappears' to the casual observer.

If you're putting the cable in steel for security, have you considered running SWA instead? 1-1.5mm would work out a lot cheaper!

Reply to external conduit run domestic in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net