Fire alarms | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fire alarms in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Arms
Reaction score
In one of my few times of need i dont have access to Fire alarm regulations and just had a customer requiring some work.
A large open office with 2 existing conventional optical dectors has been partitioned off and a false 600/600 tile ceiling fitted, what i need reminding of is, is he required to have a detector fitted in each office and the common walkway as well as the large void above with remote indicators or can i get away with relocating the detectors into the common walkway.
It isnt a large office floor so a sounder on the common area will surfice but its the regs on the detectors that eludes me for the mo'
thanks..

Hi.

I would say it would depend on the category of system you have there at the mo and achieving continued compliance with this.

From memory I believe if the void created is larger then 800mm tall i.e, from top of the new ceiling to bottom of the old, then void detectors with RI's would be needed.

Try having a read here....

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Fire/GuideToFireAlarm1.pdf

Just chopped this out of it......

Detection In Voids

If the system category requires automatic detection in areas where there is a void greater than 800mm then fire detection should also be provided in the void. Voids less than 800mm generally do not need to be covered with the following exception.
  • If a fire or smoke can spread especially between rooms or compartments before detection.
  • Or there is high risk which should be determined by a risk assessment as to warrant protection in the voids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its an old mill, public building shops, offices etc, it has a standard conventional alarm system 24v and as i suspected and has been confirmed by yourself needs void detectors with R'I'. Ive just left my old company and setting up myself so the reference material is a bit shallow at mo until i build it up.
Ive been doing alarms on and off for years but Just cant recall if the offices require in this situe.

Reply to Fire alarms in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net