Fire rated or not | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fire rated or not in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

banny07

-
Arms
Reaction score
I am installing spotlights in the kitchen. The customer bought downlight which (packing)says they are fire rated but I doubt it. What is your opinion on this please. See pictures..

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Fire rated or not
    firerated.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 132
The manufacturers website has pretty extensive documentation that's of a decent looking standard on all their product listing pages including installation, safety and fire rating test pdf's. It's an extensive and legit looking website and the documentation is well written and well presented and it's not raising any red flags for me at least. I might do a quick google for any recalls etc but unless I could point to a specific regulation that's obviously being broken by the product I'd take them at face value and install them.

I have fitted dozens of these, I have no doubt that they're what they say they are.
As pointed out, the fire rating relates only to how well they withstand fire coming from below the ceiling so as to prevent the fire spreading to above the ceiling.
They're a good choice if there is not much room between the ceiling and the floor above.
They also come with a variant that can fit into a hole diameter between 58mm to 100mm with no adjustment needed.
All in all an excellent product.

you know... ive not actually thought if the standards had been updated....

It used to be that fire rated between seperate apartments but not required if the room above is part of the same house.

Most downlights sold now are indeed fire rated... as are the ones in question on this thread... so really, it doesnt matter....

A 2 storey house is a single fire compartment so unless its an integral garage below a bedroom then no fire rating is necessary with downlights. Thats the way I understand it, regs change with a 3 storey house.

Sure you could make sure every tiny downlight hole is entirely safe from the spread of fire to upstairs but what do you do about the massive hole where the stairs are?

Pretty sure I can see an intumescent fire seal on that. 'Fire rated' doesn't mean enclosed or safe around flammable material. It simply means the unit will maintain a fire barrier for a given period of time.
Doesn't the fire rated also require a back with an intumescent seal ?

The open wouldn't have the fire rating to maintain the barrier?

Reply to Fire rated or not in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net