First Domestic Job | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss First Domestic Job in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Got a phone call today, it could potencially be my first domestic job :) he want an outside latern style light outside his front door, he wants it on a switch as the neigbours would complain with PIR light.

So i want advice, how would you do it and how much you charge??

As you walk in the front door the light is about 1m away, but there is also a socket about 1.5m away so where shall i get the supply?? Also Switched fuse spur?? But forgot to check bonding when i was there so will have to go back.

Looks like im gunna have to buy the megger and sds drill sooner than i thought.

Sorry if its all basic but wanna get it right.

Thanks.

It would be nice if you could tap into nearest lighting point (if it is loop in loop out). If you can then take a t&E 1.0 to new switch position, and then another t&e from switch to new light. Connect L,N and earth at light, then connect both neutrals together and both earths together in switch backbox, connect Live from existing lighting point ot L1 or common at switch and live for load to L2 in switch. connect LN and E at existing point ot LN and E on loop circuit.

Failing that if you have to connect from socket then its fused spur at 3 or 5 amps.

O yes, but im commited to doing it right. So the light it is then. How much would you charge??

Also with it being on the front wall of the house is it classed as an outside light needing an RCD?? Because its an old fuse box in the house.

Last edited:
... So the light it is then. How much would you charge??...

Depends...If there is a ceiling void, and you can get at the back of the rose with a fish-wire from your outside light position, then this will reduce your time, so say a couple of hours labour, plus parts. If it is the spur option, then add another hour...then maybe add a further hour for buggeration time.

Are you making good walls etc?..If so, then more time & materials.

Also with it being on the front wall of the house is it classed as an outside light needing an RCD?? Because its an old fuse box in the house.

Does not matter whether old fuse board, or new consumer unit, nor does it matter whether it is inside or outside...I will assume that you will be burying cable in the fabric of the building at a depth less than 50mm on this job, and thus your circuit addition will require RCD protection unless you plan on putting into steel conduit.

I am afraid what appears to be a small job cost and time wise, invariably gets bigger...

Yooj

Yup, if less than 50mm then it'll need an RCD or RCBO.

Did one of these myself this week....£18 for outside PIR light, 2 hours to SDS through the cavity wall into the loop in/out circuit and down to the adjacent switch. New 6A RCBO in the board. All in about £120. No conduit needed luckily.....most jobs are worse than this so the labour will go up.

It got signed off as a Minor Works as part of my NICEIC annual inspection too. :)

Reply to First Domestic Job in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net