First Domestic Wiring... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss First Domestic Wiring... in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stuuk1

Hi all,

Been an electrician for 10 years in industrial/commercial. Also work for 4 years in BMS.

I am buying a new property which I am going to gut and rewire while I can..

Having never wired a domestic premises before I am obviously full of questions which I hope someone can help me with.

My first question (and only question for now) is about what accessories could I install while I'm there chasing out the walls? I am going to be putting in some good quality USB chargers dotted around and some speaker cables. I'm just interested in other ideas...

Thanks!

Tv aerial cables buried in the walls so there's less spaghetti lying around. PIRs and occupancy sensors in bathroom(s) for those late night wee moments. Data cables in each room so you're never too far from your internets, under floor heating. The list could go on and on

I once did all the audio and data wiring installation for some friends who were having a house built. Most of the cabling went from a central 19" rack to various points in the house. Speakers in ceilings and on walls (including outside above patio), cabling for control pads next to light switches, multiple cat 5e cabling to all possible TV positions, multiple satellite aerial cables in a duct from the end of the garden (which was the only place guaranteed to get a signal due to surrounding trees).

I'd put in a cable for an old fashioned wired doorbell; the radio ones are often unreliable. It's also not so silly having some data cables; you'll still get faster and more reliable data transfer by cable than wireless.

Hi all,

Been an electrician for 10 years in industrial/commercial. Also work for 4 years in BMS.

I am buying a new property which I am going to gut and rewire while I can..

Having never wired a domestic premises before I am obviously full of questions which I hope someone can help me with.

My first question (and only question for now) is about what accessories could I install while I'm there chasing out the walls? I am going to be putting in some good quality USB chargers dotted around and some speaker cables. I'm just interested in other ideas...

Thanks!

If a guy stacking Tesco shelves 3 or 4 weeks before hand can do it, i'm sure you won't have any problems. Your only problem is with part pee and and the LABC. ..lol!!!

Conduit in the wall, not needed to do that since we started running things in safe zones lol cables for tv on chimney breast would come in handy, leading back to either a cupboard for your DVD etc or to a side unit.

Everyone knows he installs oval conduit, and it is a better job if truth be known even if it's not necessary. In the event of a damaged cable it's easier to replace, if your client will pay the little bit extra then why not. Comes down to personal preference at the end of the day I suppose

Are you honestly telling me that you fit new sockets in conduit? And also saying if you don't its not a proper job?

Always. Every cable I install is in conduit. You're right, it's not strictly necessary to comply with regs, but after 25 years in the profession I still curse when I have to chase a wall on a rewire, and bless the previous electrician who used conduit :)

Reply to First Domestic Wiring... in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net