First Domestic Wiring... | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss First Domestic Wiring... in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stuuk1

Hi all,

Been an electrician for 10 years in industrial/commercial. Also work for 4 years in BMS.

I am buying a new property which I am going to gut and rewire while I can..

Having never wired a domestic premises before I am obviously full of questions which I hope someone can help me with.

My first question (and only question for now) is about what accessories could I install while I'm there chasing out the walls? I am going to be putting in some good quality USB chargers dotted around and some speaker cables. I'm just interested in other ideas...

Thanks!

Are you honestly telling me that you fit new sockets in conduit? And also saying if you don't its not a proper job?

Always. Every cable I install is in conduit. You're right, it's not strictly necessary to comply with regs, but after 25 years in the profession I still curse when I have to chase a wall on a rewire, and bless the previous electrician who used conduit :)

When you say conduit, are we talking 20mm galv...? Or the smaller plastic stuff I've seen.

Another reason I ask that is because I have so much 20mm galv at my disposal and am tempted to use it in the walls with saddle tops to hold it in. Wouldn't take any longer to install than capping once the walls are chased out!

When you say conduit, are we talking 20mm galv...? Or the smaller plastic stuff I've seen.

Another reason I ask that is because I have so much 20mm galv at my disposal and am tempted to use it in the walls with saddle tops to hold it in. Wouldn't take any longer to install than capping once the walls are chased out!
well its only what councils did once....still a lot of it in service n all.....my friends mothers house still has it going strong..

Bush up the top, and earth the back box it's bushed too...... Removes the need for Rcd protection for buried cables!!
;)

Have a look around a couple of show houses to decide what you want in the first instance and then draw up your plans, its hard to give advice if we don't know what you want yourself.

I love deep back boxes as I get the apprentice to do the chopping in lol

Can't believe what i'm reading on this thread. Ive been a spark for over thirty years and find it hard to see why some think, if you don't put conduit in the walls you're lazy.As for unnecessary chasing, why? I thought it was always advisable to keep damage to the building fabric to a minimum (smashed too many bricks). How can channeling not be classed as a "proper " job when, 99% of domestic jobs are installed this way? Come on guys, its going to get covered in plaster, just get on with it!

I don't think it's lazy, it just comes down to personal preference.

I agree it is preference and also the way that people are taught, I use both capping and oval but prefer oval if i'm honest.

Lets be honest because everything these days is price driven alot of people you see on sites the emphsis is on speed not quality.

First factor is your budget, if you can't afford anything fancy like remote switching and programmable room scenes,
I'd just go for plastic oval conduit, squeeze the end and it fits in a 20mm knock out.

I often win jobs, even though I know that I'm not the lowest quote. Within reason, the price isn't usually what customers are after. They want someone in their home who they feel they can trust, who uses good materials, and who gives a good overall service. If you are working for landlords or builders (something which I avoid), then obviously price will be the main criteria.
And yes, I do think that running cables in oval conduit is a better job.

some rgb led lighting remote controlled in alcoves underunits are stunning and can change the whole atmhosphere with a switch of colour.!!

Totally agree lighting can make all the differance in an installation and the possiblities are endless check out LED HUT for some outstanding lamps that will fit straight into most downlights GU10 or low voltage although i'd be tempted to go with GU10 if using an LED why have a transformer that can fail if there's no requirement.

If your going to think about networking cables to each room just install a good wifi network router in the center of the house (under floor boards if needed with a hatch) that will provide enough internet signal where ever you are in the house.

When my father rebuilt his house I installed 3 wifi boosters throughout the house (7 bed house - 4 floors all stone walls inside and out - wifi signal hates it!)
We also installed a mobile booster in the center of the house and another on the wall outside as well as signal was crap outside the house not along the inside as well.

Using oval plastic makes a bit more sense as its only 73p for a 3m length. I was under the assumption you was talking about galv 20mm conduit which you would of had to take a lot of the bricks and probly do more damage than its worth on older houses. Although I wouldn't say it makes it any more of a proper job than using capping as it gives no extra protection and with new cables its not likely to need rewiring for a very very long time. As for price I don't see why you would charge any extra for using this rather than capping as its all personal preference. Also if it was such a better job new sparks would be trained to use it which they are not. It's probly not used in general as it fully encloses the cable and gives no breathing space where with capping its only covered by one side and clipped direct which would give better heat dispersion. I might be talking rubbish. Just don't see how you can say a proper job and disrespect others work, when this is how everyone is trained to do it.

Pyro is infinitely better than FP but are apprentices trained in that these days? Last apprentice I had contact with didn't have a clue what it was and he was nearly out of his time.

Pyro is a dying art it's very rare you see it on new installations nowadays unless it's an absolute requirement i.e. fuel stations etc..

Reply to First Domestic Wiring... in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net