Fitters! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fitters! in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

silva.foxx

I've heard it all now.

One of the other shifts, in work, profess they have adequate electrical skills.

I'm told they managed to ruin two inverters (VFD) last week. They let the smoke out of the first one. Another inverter was goosed so they spoke via phone to one of the day sparks who was off site. He suggested they connect the motor in DoL whilst they waited for a new inverter. He said he heard the explosion over the phone. The fitters, in an attempt to link R, S, T to U, V, W of the load, connected the supply to UVW of the inverter and switched on! :93:

Anyone any tales to tell?

Got to admit though you can’t beat having a couple of burly fitters with you when it comes to big cables. But I wouldn’t trust them to change a lamp!

I've heard it all now.

One of the other shifts, in work, profess they have adequate electrical skills.

I'm told they managed to ruin two inverters (VFD) last week. They let the smoke out of the first one. Another inverter was goosed so they spoke via phone to one of the day sparks who was off site. He suggested they connect the motor in DoL whilst they waited for a new inverter. He said he heard the explosion over the phone. The fitters, in an attempt to link R, S, T to U, V, W of the load, connected the supply to UVW of the inverter and switched on! :93: Anyone any tales to tell?

2 questions here reading this. 1/ where were the shift electricians during these escapades??
2/ Where was the shift management that allowed untrained personnel to make electrical connection alterations to what is, a sophisticated motor drive panel??

It's all very well calling tradesmen these days as ''maintenance operatives'' that can be called to work on any system etc, but in reality it rarely works when electrics are involved. Or the other way round when say, sophisticated pneumatic machinery control come into the picture. Fine when there is maintenance pair teams that work together each having the required skills for the majority of the breakdowns normally encountered. But not when one maintenance operative is expected to know everything, because that will very rarely be the case...

Sounds like a serious contravention of EAWR 1989 : Reg 16 - Persons must be COMPETENT or under adequate supervision .......... Does the Manager like Prison Food I hope so !!

fitters will often be sent on basic to intermediate electrical maintenance courses and vice versa for sparks as part of a company's multi-skilling policy, and connecting a motor DOL is basic for a factory setting, perhaps this was the case? doesn't sound like it though, any way Silvaa, your PM inbox is full.

got plenty of stories !! unfortunately this is a puplic forum and im sure the MOD have sniffers on the web traffic..!

i can recall a time when we spent 18hours cleaning 3k litres of lub oil up after a mishap!
oh and the time we had to go to emergency steering due to a mishap with hydraulic system..(or was it **** up)
and last one when we nearly caused a crash in the shipping lanes of the English channel due to complacency!

and the 3 above is just for starters! :)

2 questions here reading this. 1/ where were the shift electricians during these escapades??
2/ Where was the shift management that allowed untrained personnel to make electrical connection alterations to what is, a sophisticated motor drive panel??

1. Shift electrician = installation electrician

2. Area Eng. Mgr. was the one who made the call to the off-duty day spark, who is fundamentally a spark that's been reprogrammed with management corrupted firmware.

The two lads who blew the lot were fitters. One of which was allowed to go on a 17th Edition course (and passed :yes: ) along with a Siemens S7 Technician course at Siemens :38: !!! I deal with PLCs everyday and I've not been given that opportunity! :32:

You have to "brown nose" in this place for stuff! I'd rather do without... so I prefer to learn in their time during breakdowns!

I had a manager sat on my shoulder on a breakdown last week, offering nothing of value. I had the solution in my head. My finger tips were ready to turn a trick, too late he'd got on a nipple, so I chose to read the manual for 20 minutes... again! :yes:

Didn’t realise it was “open season” for shooting fitters, thought we were just talking of fitters and electrics.

Now where do I start……

Don’t get me wrong a good fitter is your best mate. But, dear god there’s some morons out there.

remember a fitter at the dockyard attempting to remove a steam valve on the submarine!!
he undone all 8 of the nuts and was about to release them all until it was pointed out that the valve weights in excess of 45kg and if he thinks he can remove it from head height all by him self he must be superman...!! he looked on in despair as we left him too it!!

idiots!

Where I work now the fitters are generally dismal,their called "engineers" up here in scotchland,I always thought you needed a degree to be an engineer?
Still,back in ford they were trained identically to the electricians as we did a "multiskilled" 4 year apprenticeship and only when we came out of our time were we assigned either mech or elec,there was no science to it just demand at the time.
Well,that's what we told the hammer throwers!!!!

Well,that's what we told the hammer throwers!!!!

I nearly got sacked for that! A fitter backed the pick up in to the front of my car. I chased him out of the shop throwing hammers, spanners and any thing that came to hand.

I was a bit peeved and the MD wasn’t amused. I got away with it when he went with me to look at the wreckage.

I will never say a bad word again about fitters since pulling in that last 195mm 4 core. Ours are ok though and have been taught that electricity is the work of voodoo and black magic so they keep well away from it unless we need some extra braun.

I always thought you needed a degree to be an engineer?

I am apparently an engineer, got the degree but in the wrong subject!!!

I am about as much an engineer as our cleaner is a technician. Apparently it is supposed to be motivating to call your staff by stupid patronising job titles.

Reply to Fitters! in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net