Fitting light fixtures in domestic home | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fitting light fixtures in domestic home in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

infaddict

Hi, hope you experts can give me some advice.

I am moving into a new property and all ceiling lights will be simple rose with a drop bulb. Over time I want to replace these with real light fittings (eg chandelier). My question is whether current regulations allow me to do this myself.

All lights are outside of kitchen/bathrooms and being a bungalow I have easy access to all loft wiring as required. I would class myself as a competent DIYer and understand basic electronics, lighting wiring circuits, safety precautions etc. When I last did something similar (a long time ago), the regs were concerned with being a competent person.

I guess i am also interested in how any DIY work might impact my house warranty. If there are regulation issues then I am keen to find out rough costs for an electrician to install 5 lights in a bungalow (north of england).

Any guidance is much appreciated.

A householder is allowed to change fittings the regs permit this. I cant imagine that it would invalidate your insurance as you are doing nothing wrong. The usual caveat applies, I would give them a call and ask. They will probably just say get an electrician in, you would be looking at at least a half day rate for 5 lights.

As long as the lights are fitted in accordance with manufactures instructions then I cant see the issue really.

If you feel competent enough and know about the loop in method i.e 2 feeds and switch wire you should be able to do them yourself.might even be just a LNE there so would be even easier for you.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Replacing the existing rose/pendant combination with a chandelier does not need any notification under Part P or is it precluded for you to do it in the current regulations.

If you wanted to extend an existing circuit in say the front room, hall, bedroom then again you have no problems with the current Part P regulations or the regulations. The only thing you may find is that under certain circumstances your new wiring may have to incorporate RCD protection, and if your installation does not already have RCD protection for the light circuit, this then becomes complicated

If you decide to extend the circuit in a kitchen or bathroom, then by the Part P regulations you must notify this work to your local building control. Again this is a building reg and not an electrical one. Also once you touch the cable in a bathroom, no matter how the work is done you have to fit an RCD

Thanks for the fast replies guys! Good news that the regs allow change of light fittings.

Yes if it's LNE only then it's an easier job. However I have a feeling there will be ceiling rose (screwed to ceiling) with the usual inside like in, out, switch and bulb. If this is the case, what is the preferred approach nowadays? Is it to move the whole rose to the loft and drop down LNE? Or choc blocks replacing the rose connections? Or something else?

choc bolcks inside the base of the new fitting are acceptable. shoved up in the ceiling void is NOT. the problem with some of these fancy fittings is that there is no room for connections. in that case, an enclosure containing connectors above the ceiling is the way forward.

I normally put them on a 15amp connector inside the rose of the fitting.sometimes rooms abit tight in ther so it would be easier for you to put them in a JB/ chocbox in the roof then a twin to the light.must be careful not to screw into the cable when fitting the base of the fitting.
Or just get a sparky lol

Thanks for the fast replies guys! Good news that the regs allow change of light fittings.

Yes if it's LNE only then it's an easier job. However I have a feeling there will be ceiling rose (screwed to ceiling) with the usual inside like in, out, switch and bulb. If this is the case, what is the preferred approach nowadays? Is it to move the whole rose to the loft and drop down LNE? Or choc blocks replacing the rose connections? Or something else?

Probably a loop in system. Personally, if access, jb's, but you may encounter the odd problem. Hopefully, joists available for fixing the extra weight but you can never be certain. For a few hours work, may be as well getting someone with experience along.

If the property is over about 10 years old the pendants will almost certainly be wired '3 plate', ie the live looped around the property with drops down to the switch, in which case you might be best off screwing the rose to the joist in the loft and dropping down to the fitting with flex.
If it's a newer property the feed may be looped around the switches instead, in which case you should be able to do away with the rose and wire straight into the fitting.

Yep it's certainly a tight squeeze sometimes to fit choc blocks in the modern light fittings. What size/rating of choc block is acceptable for this purpose?

This is a brand new property built in the last 12 weeks so I presume it will have RCDs, but unsure of exact light wiring system until I move in there next week.

If the fitting is so small that I can't fit choc blocks in, is the existing plastic rose housing acceptable to relocate to the loft space, dropping a LNE (or just LN if fitting has no earth) to the room? Is having loft insulation lying on such a rose an issue or does the rosé need to be secured to joist or placed above insulation somehow?

sorry for all the questions guys, this is forum is really helpful!

Yep it's certainly a tight squeeze sometimes to fit choc blocks in the modern light fittings. What size/rating of choc block is acceptable for this purpose?

This is a brand new property built in the last 12 weeks so I presume it will have RCDs, but unsure of exact light wiring system until I move in there next week.

If the fitting is so small that I can't fit choc blocks in, is the existing plastic rose housing acceptable to relocate to the loft space, dropping a LNE (or just LN if fitting has no earth) to the room? Is having loft insulation lying on such a rose an issue or does the rosé need to be secured to joist or placed above insulation somehow?

sorry for all the questions guys, this is forum is really helpful!

Re use of the rose as such is not suitable.

as above. if you need to fit joints in the attic, line products (forum sponsor) supply a kit of enclosures and screwless connectors that are the dog's danglies for this sort of job.

Ive never used a chocbox and probs will never as i dont relly rate them....JB's <3 ....you must bring a earth to the fitting even if ther is no terminal(ther will be though)so you will need a 3 core flex or a twin and earth either way...as a new property it will be all protected under RCD.i dont think loft insulation is a big issue after all it sits ontop of all the cables in new property when they require them not to be buried due to ambient temperature and all that malarky.but id screw the JB to the side of a joist and not on top just to keep it secure

Thanks for all your help guys. JBs in the loft it is and will check out line products stuff.

I have one final question about installing an outdoor security light on my garage, but will post a new thread for that. Cheers!

Hi, hope you experts can give me some advice.

I am moving into a new property and all ceiling lights will be simple rose with a drop bulb. Over time I want to replace these with real light fittings (eg chandelier). My question is whether current regulations allow me to do this myself.

All lights are outside of kitchen/bathrooms and being a bungalow I have easy access to all loft wiring as required. I would class myself as a competent DIYer and understand basic electronics, lighting wiring circuits, safety precautions etc. When I last did something similar (a long time ago), the regs were concerned with being a competent person.

I guess i am also interested in how any DIY work might impact my house warranty. If there are regulation issues then I am keen to find out rough costs for an electrician to install 5 lights in a bungalow (north of england).

Any guidance is much appreciated.
just make sure that if its 3 plate that you identify the switch wire first before proceding wont you....
short circuit...hmm.....

Reply to Fitting light fixtures in domestic home in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net