flickering lamps | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss flickering lamps in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

focus123

I have recently replaced halogen spotlamps with energy saving version to a light fitting controlled by a dimmable switch. The lamps now constantly flicker and the transformer inside the dimmer is buzzing louder than usual. Any suggestions please ?

I have recently replaced halogen spotlamps with energy saving version to a light fitting controlled by a dimmable switch. The lamps now constantly flicker and the transformer inside the dimmer is buzzing louder than usual. Any suggestions please ?

As the others have said above, the dimmer switch needs to be compatible with the lamps or you will get flickering as you call it. If the lamp(s) are low energy you will need to have dimmable ones and possibly a different dimmer switch as well. Energy saving covers many different types of lamps so you would need to be a bit more specific if you wanted more help here. Are they flouro`s , energy saving halogens , LEDs etc.

In lay mans terms you have just fitted a Mini gearbox to a Landrover and expected it to work well.

Just take off the dimmer and fit a switch? also is a dimmer not just a resistor I've bought some before that didn't work right from the off (granted I don't do domestic tbh.)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 11 4w led spotlights running off the dimmer. I know this does not meet the minimum 60w-400w usual dimmer type, but I have been informed that using a 40w-250w type dimmer will not necesarily solve the problem.

Reply to flickering lamps in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi Avo Mk8 Thank you so much! Yes the bulbs fit perfectly I don't think they are much bigger. I could have bought a bigger rated LED driver but...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi All First of all many thanks for this post and getting to a solution. - this forum is awesome! I'm having exactly the same problem. I've gone...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
I'm not sure on the environmental implications, a good quality integrated fitting will last many years and be more energy efficient than the GU10...
Replies
Views
davesparks
D
  • Question
Thanks davesparks. Looking at the diagram on the driver that's what I interpreted too, but I heard somewhere that the DALI system doesn't like...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Do you have or can you borrow a generator and use it to supply just the lighting to see if the cause is outside your home? It now strongly...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks