Floor Box's Installed in Floorboards | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Floor Box's Installed in Floorboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Anybody had any experience installing floor box's in floorboards?

Done some before in an office environment in a suspended floor system, which was no problem. Been to look at a job at an old office building, with some desks in the middle of the room. There looking to move all the sockets/data for the computers into the middle to stop it being a trip hazard with extension leads round the sides.
Just wondering on the issues I might have installing floor box's in florrboards, like a joists in the way and then might make the floor box's untidy and out of sync.

Thinking of doing dado trunking instead fixed to the floor, my idea is it will look more neat and tidy and not be a hassle of trying to jigsaw the floorboards and could weaken surrounding boards.

Any thoughts on this please?

Cheers

I get the feeling we're going to be arguing over another issue that is completely insignificant lol.

All I meant was that the floor socket I mentioned does not match the appearence of your typical 'metal clad' switch or socket available from any electrical wholesaler although yes, I do agree, it is constructed of metal at the rear.

Deary me you're an argumentative so 'n so! :)

I must have missed the bit about the customer not wanting metal clad sockets, but those floor boxes are designed to take a square of carpet (or other floor covering) on the top and IIRC have a plastic bezel. Yes the sockets and modular plates inside are metal clad and the construction of the box under the floor is metal, but when the box is in use it's effectively 'carpet clad' as far as the user is concerned.

IMO a 'metal clad floor socket' is something like this:
[ElectriciansForums.net] Floor Box's Installed in Floorboards

I get the feeling we're going to be arguing over another issue that is completely insignificant lol.

All I meant was that the floor socket I mentioned does not match the appearence of your typical 'metal clad' switch or socket available from any electrical wholesaler although yes, I do agree, it is constructed of metal at the rear.

Deary me you're an argumentative so 'n so! :)

I'm not arguing about anything!! Just because your looking at it from one view point and i'm looking at it from another. As you imply there nothing to argue over, ...one way or the other!!

Do people still install those old flat flip top floor sockets?? I haven't seen those things for years now, could never make out what those things were designed to achieve. Totally inappropriate for the majority of office environments as floor sockets, especially where floors would be washed down with water/cleaning materials every night. Don't think i've ever seen one where the flip top was still functional....

I've installed them in a conservatory before - we couldn't fit the sockets to the walls because there was only one. Likewise with trendy modern buildings with glass walls where they only need power and not cat5. Or I've seen them in a church with wooden floors for a light on the lectern.
I don't think I've ever been in an office where they hose down the floors at the end of the day, but the point is that is what I would consider to be a 'metal clad floor socket'.

I don't think I've ever been in an office where they hose down the floors at the end of the day

Hahaha! Poor you! You've led a pretty blinkered life I think ;)

Its the typical end of week routine for me, get the ol' pressure washer out and violently hose down all the interior surfaces of my office!

I've installed them in a conservatory before - we couldn't fit the sockets to the walls because there was only one. Likewise with trendy modern buildings with glass walls where they only need power and not cat5. Or I've seen them in a church with wooden floors for a light on the lectern.
I don't think I've ever been in an office where they hose down the floors at the end of the day, but the point is that is what I would consider to be a 'metal clad floor socket'.

Who said anything about hosing down?? Are you saying that you have never seen office cleaners with they're mop and buckets sloshing water and cleaner everywhere?? Even the recessed floor boxes we've been talking about, can have a bad time of it, with some of these Asian office cleaners. They seem to have an inbuilt need to aim or splash water at just about everything!! lol!! :drool5: :D

some of these Asian office cleaners. They seem to have an inbuilt need to aim or splash water at just about everything!! lol!! :drool5: :D

Haha, when you walk in the next day to find nothing works and a little chinese lady in a blue bib with a rather confused look on her face!

"Please Mr Sir thank you please, the light swiiiiich was no clean! I got mop and scrubbba the swiiiich! Whaa happen??? Please Mr?" :D

Haha, when you walk in the next day to find nothing works and a little chinese lady in a blue bib with a rather confused look on her face!

"Please Mr Sir thank you please, the light swiiiiich was no clean! I got mop and scrubbba the swiiiich! Whaa happen??? Please Mr?" :D

I was thinking more along the lines of those from the Indian sub-continent and maybe the Philippines, that are now resident in the UK!! lol :D

The last office I worked in the sockets under the desks were perfectly safe from the cleaners.
They seemed to think it was my responsibility to clean under the desks with my knees.

Reply to Floor Box's Installed in Floorboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net