Forum views on supply issues | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Forum views on supply issues in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am doing some EICR work on a mobile unit / caravan park...the unit problems are simple and normal , some pass some need new con units..the usual...my problem is the park owner is making all units have a test done to comply but it is outside where i worry more and of course i am not being paid to do anything.
Firstly the supply to each unit is a 10mm 2 core swa fused at either 32 amp or 40 amp ..which in todays terms although fused correctly is very low on supply..and some of the units actually have more power than given on the supply, also some are fused by the now defunct bs7871 push button wylex. Also which concerns me the supply to the supply box units is from the overhead via 4 pvc pvc 25mm main tails clipped down the post into the box with no protection...hence if it deteriorates you would get a shock off the overhead cables direct. Would you say anything, would you just note it on your eicr even though its an external issue, and would regarding the supply cable is technically able and fused correctly you mention anything. The occupants are aware they can only have certain items on at a time but surely if sold as some are private , if that information is not passed on again an overload issue would occur though protected.
General views appreciated....but no arguments please as i am only asking your views

The EICR report itself states the limitations put on the report with agreement by yourself and the client. If the client is only asking you to test the internal units then that is all you test.

If you don't agree to this then it your option is to walk away. You by walking away will not be any skin of his nose as he will find someone who will do what he wants.

What I personally would do is agree the job, noting in the limitations box exactly what you are doing, ie Units only. Then I would submit my report with a cover letter stating your observations and concerns and let him decide what is the next step

yes that is kind of what i thought i would do...but the overheads would be local supplier and i have never seen it done like that..surely it could be dangerous and they should have protected it in some way ? would you tell them your concerns . Turning the head on that one could kill someone ..what if they break down and it rains.

its not the overheads...They have used 4 single pvc pvc main tails like you get in a normal house and tapped onto the lines at height then surface clipped them down the post to the store...about 4 ft off the floor. i can touch them easy so if the pvc broke down bingo i get one off the overheads

Hi dude,you will never get any sleep.if you concern yourself with the "What ifs" of life.

Malcolm has nailed it. Stick to your agreed limitations. Put any additional concerns,in writing,separately.Or,walk away.

I will give you an analogy of sorts....

I'm driving down the motorway,with my folks,and i see a Volvo car,towing a caravan,obviously too large for the vehicle to have full command of it.
Every time it speeds up slightly,the snaking begins,and he slows back...
I tell my dad that we are staying back,so not to run into the wreckage....After another 3 miles or so,he pulls out to the middle lane,accelerates to pass a vehicle....and 3 bounces later,the lot is on its' side,sliding down the M6,pots,pans,chairs,the lot,everywhere...

My mum asks "If you thought that might happen,why didn't you try to do something?" ....bless her...

Sometimes,with the best will in the world,all we can do,is limit the risk to ourselves,from other peoples actions. :cheesy:

Are the overheads private or DNO property?
There is nothing wrong with Wylex push button MCBs, they are not defunct, just out of production.
There is nothing wrong with each van having a 32A supply, the worst that will happen is that the OCPD will operate if overloaded. But the chances of it actually being overloaded are slim to none, your average 3/4 bed house rarely draws more than 30A so I can't see a caravan ever having a problem.

Reply to Forum views on supply issues in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net