Full house re-wiring, is this possible... | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Full house re-wiring, is this possible... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Alex Buckley

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have just brought a house in the Endon area. It was built in 1970 and has never been re-wired so naturally we want to get it done. However, we are aware that this is a highly disruptive process and it takes time.

My OH is a journalist and is writing an article for a UK magazine on how to move and undertake renovation work with the minimum of disruption. Her plan is to get the re-wiring done before we move in. However, we don't have the completion date yet. Its clear that we would need an electrician who could undertake the job at short notice.

This seems a big ask and I'm unsure if its even viable. Does anyone have any advice on how to best approach this?

Many Thanks

Alex

actually the 802.11 standard was created in the late 90's and wasnt the first standard.

just look at america if you think completely wireless is a good idea.

the more people on the same connection the slower it gets.

what is your 4g coverage like in big cities at lunchtime?

if people do a lot of work at home a desktop is more ergonomic than a laptop.

try typing on a laptop keyboard all day and you will see
If you had a desktop computer you'd probably have a modem next to it, plugged straight into the telephone point or f-type if you have cable, but that would be in one position - you'd be unlikely to move it to the kitchen or bedroom so you wouldn't need cat5 points in every room. For casual use, such as with a mobile phone, laptop or ipad, wireless would be sufficient.

Hi All,

We have just brought a house in the Endon area. It was built in 1970 and has never been re-wired so naturally we want to get it done. However, we are aware that this is a highly disruptive process and it takes time.

My OH is a journalist and is writing an article for a UK magazine on how to move and undertake renovation work with the minimum of disruption. Her plan is to get the re-wiring done before we move in. However, we don't have the completion date yet. Its clear that we would need an electrician who could undertake the job at short notice.

This seems a big ask and I'm unsure if its even viable. Does anyone have any advice on how to best approach this?

Many Thanks

Alex

The 1970s PVC twin&earth cable will probably still be fine in itself. Admittedly things may have been messed with, but I wouldn't go ripping it all out just because it was wired in 1975 or whatever. As above, Tel will give good advice. Daz

The 1970s PVC twin&earth cable will probably still be fine in itself. Admittedly things may have been messed with, but I wouldn't go ripping it all out just because it was wired in 1975 or whatever. As above, Tel will give good advice. Daz
That's what would concern me if I was refurbishing the property, testing won't reveal everything. Personal opinion.

right. i'm back. had weekend in sunny wales. thanks to all the members who bulled me up. i don't deserve it really. same as most on here, just a humble sparks . anyway. i'm pretty flexible some of the time. i can do inspection at a few days notice. lead time to physically do work would depend on the inspection and what will be required. a rewire is n ot a 1 man job, and i can call on a few members to pitch in and get the job done is a reasonable timescale. over to you, alex.

Reply to Full house re-wiring, is this possible... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net