Fusing of fans to comply with manufacturers recommended instructions | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fusing of fans to comply with manufacturers recommended instructions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Manufacturers want there fans fused to 3a on the permanent feed but the switch wire is still on the 6a MCB doing an eicr is a c2 if there is no RCD protection

Hi - Out of curiosity I have asked manufacturers what this is all about but they've been tight lipped. I have seen fans that don't spec 3A fuses and they seem to have a fuse on the control board and/or claim they've a thermal overload for the motor.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Fusing of fans to comply with manufacturers recommended instructions

I’m not sure. Shall I ask Winston1 on diynot.com? He keeps banging on about exactly this, in the same way that you do.

He also has a thing about transformers, and not having 13A sockets on lighting circuits too.

Exactly the same bees that you have in your bonnet. Hmm, makes you wonder, do you have a long-lost identical twin?

Why not just wire the bathroom with a 3 amp fuse to the lighting and fan then wire everything downstream off the fused spur, problem solved

Shouldnt be a sfcu doing the whole bathroom as the ideal of a local isolator is to isolate the fan itself without interrupting other supplies ie.. lights.
I always put a 3a module fuse holder in a click mini 3 apparatus faceplate along side the 3pole isolator. On 1st fix i always mark the loop in loop out cable and they get paired into the top of fuseholder, thus making perm live & sw live 3A protected.

Do i think its OTT. Yes!
Do i do it to cover my own ---. Yes!
Will the fan manufacturer be able to point liability at me if the fan goes up in flames . No!!

Reply to Fusing of fans to comply with manufacturers recommended instructions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net