Garage cu - discrimination | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Garage cu - discrimination in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

swc

-
Reaction score
Hi
Am currently doing my 17th edition. Our teacher gave us a question to split typic domestic loads amongst the 10 way mcbs.
This is what I come up with
[ElectriciansForums.net] Garage cu - discrimination[ElectriciansForums.net] Garage cu - discrimination

However one of my more experieced course mates said "All garage circuits protected by 2 x 30mA RCDs - no discrimination"
I know idscrimination is when the protective device closest to the fault operates. But am confused as to whats wrong with the way I did my consumer unit

hi integrity

OK my bad I brought the wrong one. What the heck is a high integrity consumer unit? whats the difference between that and one I have brought?

You what's even more funny, the first one I brought was a hi integrity unit if am not mistaken can check. I can't return it since they'll take 15% restocking. I was going to use it at another house we own. I know for a fact it's not a 17th edition board because we brought the property before 2008! It only has one RCD as well.

well what it is..

generally we use whats known as a `split load board`....2 giving additional/fault protection to 2 sides....they`l be `split`...typically a 5 n 5 setup....
a high integrity board has this....plus 2 additional ways for circuits not given aditional/fault protection....now...
you need one of these regardless of the earthing arrangements...(by the way what are these please)
then (depending on earthing arrangements)....you use a cable (with earthed mettallic covering)..:such as an SWA...or MICC...to feed the garage...now,
depending on the earthing arrangements you have at the head.....will depend on wether you require a 100mA s type RCD..(hence the `high integrity` aspect) of the board ( 3 neutral bars)

At present, there are 2 unprotected ways.
You could extend the existing bus bar, but then you would not have enough spare ways in the neutral bar.
Another option would be to place the smokes on a lighting circuit and use the space freed up for the garage.

The cu you have is a high integrity board, the first two ways not protected by an RCD are the integrity ways & are supposed to be for non rcd protected circuits or the use of rcbo's. Why chuck it? if it meets all the BS requirements use it .

As for your set up I would go with the Smokes & security alarm on one circuit by using one of the high integrity ways & an rcbo.
The second high integrity way I would use for the garage & make the circuit such that an mcb will suffice as the protective device. This will get away from your set up having 2x 30mA rcbo's in series.
The garage cu keep the main switch as a 30mA rcd.

All other circuits spread across both rcd protected ways.
I take it both socket circuits will be ring final? as you have one as "socket circuit" if it is intended to be a radial, then you'll need to use 4mm T/E or drop the ocpd to 20A if using 2.5mm as you have listed.

Some good stuff from nc there. I'd only add that I would put the downstairs lights on an rcbo along with th ealarm and smokes. That way if the alarm/smokes loose power for any reason you will know about it 'cos your lights are out. Otherwise a loss of power to these critical items could go un-noticed.

As to some of the other comments, well Amateur, you have been inconsistant with your whys and wherefores and your description of your background. On forums, it is much prefered if people with questions are totally honest about themselves and why they are asking. Not being so damages your reputation and makes it difficult to taylor answers to the level required.

The college teach you **** all.

Thats rubbish, not a 5week course but the right course at collage will give you the right training. You dont need to be 16 to do the course theres adult learning on the same courses (NVQ, C&G and then complete your AM2). It will take the same amount of time 4 years and you dont need to go into collage each week as they trust you to do work at home unlike the apprentices. It would also include teaching about discrimination.

You may be biting off more than you can chew, what qualifications and training do you have?

If you want to learn which it seems you do then above is the way to do it, you wont learn by guessing your way through the job. Dont forget the dangers electricity can create.

Im not being funny with you here, just trying to give you advice.

Never heard of CTI either...

Reply to Garage cu - discrimination in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net