garage supply | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss garage supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

lurch

-
Reaction score
regarding a new supply to a garage. can someone point me in the direction of the regs book or on site guide where it says the rcd protection should be located? In the garage cu itself or a seperate rcbo in the property cu. . .. . . may seem a daft question but need some clarification.

thx in advance

hahahah. . .. just seen a post all about garage suplies and the location of RCDs.

So I recokon the answer to my question is. . . . if I have swa supplying the garage (which I will have)then the swa doesnt need to have rcd protection, because it is mechanically protected, and the rcd can go in the garage, as long as the circuit is on the non-rcd protect side of my consumer unit in the main properrty.

:D

. . . . just to add the cu is a 16th style split with one side rcd protected, and the other side non-rcd protected.

Last edited:
I took my inspector to a board that I had changed, the circuit to the garage was proteted through one of the two RCD's in the board, the CU in the garage contained a main switch only and two breakers.

He thought that was fine.

I took my inspector to a board that I had changed, the circuit to the garage was proteted through one of the two RCD's in the board, the CU in the garage contained a main switch only and two breakers.

He thought that was fine.

mmmmm, that is interesting! Iam assuming the CU was a 17th edition dual RCD?

If the garage is detached then would not the swa have to be rcd protected.

I would have thought the best place is at the original CU, either on the rcd side if 16th or with its own rcbo.

Reply to garage supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net