Generator on Farm | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Generator on Farm in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi, I was wondreing if anyone could help me, I installed a circit in a farm house this weekend. And when i was testing the property there was 100v live to earth and 100v neurtal to earth and 230v between live and neutral this property was supplyed by a small single phase generater oveusly then i could not test ze zs ect. i looked all over the gen and inside to find neutral earth link no joy as i dont really know what to look for. Any input to my question would be helpful thanks

Andrew you should have started a new thread for this, it just muddies the water for the original question.

But to your question, from what you say it could be a centre tapped generator. You need to find some information otherwise it’s pure guesswork on our part. Make, model, etc.
As a safety note, if it is centre tapped then all MCB’s and switches should be double pole.

He doesnt want to run paralell sets he just want one as a back up for the other so i ll fit a change over swithch.

I was thinking of running a 4core swa from main generator to change over switch.

A single earth connected to earth bolt on frame of generator going to change over switch. Neutral Earth linked in generator.

steel frame building Metal work bonded to earth bolt on frame of generator.

2 x sets of 2m earth rods connected to earth bolt on frame

This will then be a TNS?

I ll then do the same from the other generator and link the earths at consumer unit with removable bolt.

Hows this sound

Thanks a lot

He doesnt want to run paralell sets he just want one as a back up for the other so i ll fit a change over swithch.

I was thinking of running a 4core swa from main generator to change over switch.

A single earth connected to earth bolt on frame of generator going to change over switch. ......Neutral Earth linked in generator. See below

steel frame building Metal work bonded to earth bolt on frame of generator.

2 x sets of 2m earth rods connected to earth bolt on frame
No, ....connected to neutral point, then to frame Yes

This will then be a TNS?
Yes

I ll then do the same from the other generator and link the earths at consumer unit with removable bolt.
Bolts, ...separarate connections

Hows this sound

Thanks a lot

Question, ... will these genny's be located on the same pad foundation and close to each other??

The neutral earth link should be removable at the generators for testing. But just to mess things up for you, some small sets have an internal N/E link.

Keep us up to speed with how you go on.

Reply to Generator on Farm in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net