Getting power of the light wiring | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Getting power of the light wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

DIYElec

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all

I want to power a small LED light that will be on 24/7 on the ceiling off of the main kitchen light (for some night terror issues someone is facing in the house).
The problem is that when I took the old light fixture down there were only two wires (a black and a red which I am to believe indicate really old wiring?) I have poked inside and can't find a junction box of any sort. This is the only light in the room.
Is this possible ?
Anyone has any advice ?

I can't power the LED off of a socket, location is not good enough and extension wouldn't work.

TL;DR
Can't power something off off main ceiling light, only two wires..
Your 2 wires are the switched live and neutral… only works when the switch was on.... Is there an earth wire there? there should be...
Many older properties were wired with a looped permanant live at the fitting, and a drop down to the switch...
It might be possible to rewire with a permanant feed, if its wired in conduit, or you can easily get to the lighting joint box.
That may be under the floor on the stair landing, or the feeds are at the switches??

A lot of work.

what about a rechargable battery nightlight?

You could you put a dimmer in place of the light switch, to reduce the brightness of the existing light for night-time?

Or if the fitting is unsuitable, change the light fitting for one where a dimmer would do the job.

Or if the current fitting takes replaceable bulbs, fit 'smart bulbs' and whatever additional tech and phone app is necessary to dim them at the required time. This might not be the most economical option!

Or alternatively wire your low power LED light directly from the ceiling fitting, and also connect the existing light via a Quinetic RF switch module hidden in the ceiling, and put a Quinetic RF switch (no wires required) stuck on the wall next to the old kitchen light switch. Leave the old switch on all the time, or at least all the time you need either of the lights on!

There are lots of very good small size AA battery type self adhesive LED lights available - go to amazon etc and have a look.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I will try to follow up on each one and find a suitable solution.

many thanks all

Reply to Getting power of the light wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net