Discuss Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Electrical Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

We have this thread on TilersForums.com and it's just been restarted because the old thread had 20,000 replies and 500,000 views. And there were 700 pages. Started to lag a bit on slow connections.

I think we had a bash of this before, but I can't find the thread, so thought I'd start another one off.

If you have time in the mornings, come post in the thread before you head off to work, let us know what you've got on and what the weather is like in your area etc. Anything at all is fine. :)

Posts and likes get counted towards your total stats in this thread.

So GOOOD MORNING PEOPLE - WEATHER IS NICE TODAY IN STOKE. I'M THANKFUL IT'S FRIDAY, HAD A RUBBISH WEEK. THANK GOD IT'S OVER.

View attachment 53708

Last edited:
@littlespark Hope your dad is OK.
Thanks Mike.

I’m going to see him this afternoon. Hopefully they’ve got some answers.
When he went in Sunday, they did a brain scan and could see the stroke he had 20 odd years ago… there may be a second one now.

He’s been having seriously dizzy spells since his doctor was trying to balance his high blood pressure tablets… which was taking him too low.

Now we’re hearing just last week, that he asked my mum to drive him one day because he couldn’t see properly… on Thursday he fell over his lawnmower (which he shouldn’t have been doing, but try tell him) which was another ambulance visit… then Sunday.

He had two funny turns lying on the bed… not able to speak… heart rate dropped to 30 bpm at one point, and bp shot up to 199 over something.

When we left at 10pm… it had settled to 60 bpm and 130 over something…

I heard he had a good night on Sunday, actually slept…. And he will be getting more scans to confirm what happened.

I’m going today to hear first hand what they say. At the moment I’m getting it through my mum, who is known for exaggerating to get a good story… who hears it from my dad, who can hardly speak, or understand what the doctors are telling him.

On a slightly happier note… my eldest has been accepted for an English teachers job in South Korea, and flies out on the 16th….. IF she can get the Visa by then. (Which she couldn’t apply for until she got her placement and contract)

Talk about last minute. Com

Slightly better news tonight. Hes up, sitting on a chair... all the monitors are taken off, and hes going to be moved from a general ward into the stroke unit, "just in case"
They havent dsecided if it was a mini stroke or not.
Still unbalanced on his feet... but much better than he was on Sunday....
So eldest can now fly off around the world without worrying about him. She was the first grandchild... so they're quite close

Mini stroke… my mum called it a “TIA” but that was from her cousin who used to be a nurse 20 odd years ago and not the doctor who’s seeing to him now.

Whatever it is, they think it’ll repair itself. He’s getting physio today, and hopefully his balance will come back.

I’m on the lookout for handrails, and a stairlift if I can find one for their house.

Quick review of last night Olympic closing ceremony….

At least it wasn’t raining.

They kept it in the arena instead of out on the river… Huge set piece about the Golden Voyager alien arriving on the planet and digging up the 5 Olympic rings…. Joined by dozens of dancers in grey suits that looked like a fight seen from the 90’s Power Rangers.
There was some bloke playing a piano vertically.

There was a music interlude as they set up the next show….
“Encore une fois” ok… that’s in French… “we are the champions” goes with the Olympic theme I guess…..
“Freed from desire”…. Is she French? I don’t know, but I was getting sick of that song anyway as it seemed to be played at every event from athletics to swimming to equestrian

Where was all the actual French music? Daft Punk, David Guetta, “Joe Le Taxi”??? The theme song from ‘Allo ‘Allo?

Some famous French band called Phoenix came on and was joined by various internal artists… The sound was terrible. Jumping between a direct feed which was a fraction of a second behind the visuals or via the television microphones creating a horrible echo.

I stopped watching about 10pm so missed Tom Cruise jumping in

A bit late in my day, although I guess morning UK by the time this gets read, although by then will technically be yesterday's news to a reader... Anyway, I spent my morning educating a group of American 'deck electricians' about Eddy currents and why you don't have single holes in ferrous containment on 800A supplies. Not sure which I found the more amusing, the glazed looks in the eyes or the noise of the penny dropping.

Good morning. Back from holidays, trying to remember where all the tools are and what I should be doing in what order next week….

Funniest thing on my Facebook feed this morning:
[ElectriciansForums.net] Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :)

Enjoying being back in Blighty for the first time in two months and getting a Union Jack flag back on my picture!

Welcome back to the madness matey!

Did you like my info guiding American users to their forum?

Dont see all that anywhere else. It's like a different website just for them.

And I missed @timhoward facebook message lol that's a good one 😄

Welcome back to the madness matey!

Did you like my info guiding American users to their forum?

Dont see all that anywhere else. It's like a different website just for them.

And I missed @timhoward facebook message lol that's a good one 😄
It was odd seeing 'the other side' of the forum, for sure! Although it looks like it may become a regular feature for a while as I've as US based client who's really keen for me to run some of their Stateside projects.

Consequently, alongside a mountain of other paperwork and chores this morning are making sure all my airmiles are claimed in the right place!

Lazy Sunday afternoon and I get this WhatsApp message from my brothers’ partners’ son….

[ElectriciansForums.net] Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :)

The potentially electric question was….

“There’s a smell of burning…. And this is warm to the touch”

My expert advice…. In no particular order….Shut off everything in the consumer unit…. Dial 105…. And don’t bloody touch that again!

I heard back…. Someone will be there in an hour or two

Lazy Sunday afternoon and I get this WhatsApp message from my brothers’ partners’ son….

View attachment 117952

The potentially electric question was….

“There’s a smell of burning…. And this is warm to the touch”

My expert advice…. In no particular order….Shut off everything in the consumer unit…. Dial 105…. And don’t bloody touch that again!

I heard back…. Someone will be there in an hour or two
Looks a lovely installation of the cutout.

They only moved in on Friday... im surprised this hasnt been festering away for the previous owners....

Further photos showed a service isolator... Wylex plastic consumer unit with all RCBO's... except for one 32A thats marked "sockets"... so thats been a quick replacement to get the house sold...

Looks like a trip up to edinburgh for me, unless they can find a reliable local spark.

Goooooooood morning viet... I mean forum!

How the hell are you all?

Price surging oasis tickets, whaaaat? No thanks. That needs making illegal! Cheeky sods trying to compare themselves to hotels and uber; Difference being they tell you the price before you're in the queue.

Rain is here today in Newcastle-under-Lyme!

How's weather where you are?

Goooooooood morning viet... I mean forum!

How the hell are you all?

Price surging oasis tickets, whaaaat? No thanks. That needs making illegal! Cheeky sods trying to compare themselves to hotels and uber; Difference being they tell you the price before you're in the queue.

Rain is here today in Newcastle-under-Lyme!

How's weather where you are?
I've worked with both of them, they're both ****'s of the highest order. Save your money.

This morning's delight is wrangling the best broadband and multiple mobiles deal I can find... Vodafone are so far showing promise

Are the BT lines that 90% of them use alright in your street? As that gives you loads of scope then.

I use virginmedia for work and sky for the general house devices and cameras and that does lag a lot. VM is mint though.

BT for home broadband 150Mb/s

Voxi (vodaphone) for mobile service . (Free calls, texts and 45Gb data)

I think there’s a referral programme if someone uses my voxi link.

Are the BT lines that 90% of them use alright in your street? As that gives you loads of scope then.

I use virginmedia for work and sky for the general house devices and cameras and that does lag a lot. VM is mint though.
We're out in the sticks and only have FTC anyway, so it's kind of irrelevant. We see about 7/38 on a good day. But Sky who we're with at the moment just don't seem to have the DNS capabilities in their home routers for more than about 15 devices - as we're 30+ and constantly upstreaming camera's it's just never been that great at all!

You can cut down a lot of the connected devices list surely?

I went into ours and knocked off a daughters ex boyfriend, a couple of their friends… phones we don’t have anymore…..

In fact, with that daughter in korea now, I can take off her phone and her laptop

You can cut down a lot of the connected devices list surely?

I went into ours and knocked off a daughters ex boyfriend, a couple of their friends… phones we don’t have anymore…..

In fact, with that daughter in korea now, I can take off her phone and her laptop
That's not what I meant. I'm talking about active devices which form a part of the current DHCP and routing table. It's an increasing problem in high tech households - I've just turned my head around and counted 7 from my chair, all currently talking in some form or other to the outside world. A rough total is something like 28 with just me in the house - even the washing machine is on wifi!!

We are way too connected aren't we!

You need run all the house admin on its own router there maybe.

As for the provider consider the fact the equipment will change with a new one so may not work as well with so many devices. But get the best price in writing and go to your existing one and haggle. Always worth giving a go.

We are way too connected aren't we!

You need run all the house admin on its own router there maybe.

As for the provider consider the fact the equipment will change with a new one so may not work as well with so many devices. But get the best price in writing and go to your existing one and haggle. Always worth giving a go.
This is part of the problem. Sky doesn't talk well to anything other than it's own cheap modem/routers. I'm more than happy to spend a (sensible) amount of dosh on a commercial level system and basically have two networks running on different subnets but the bottle-neck will always be the final last-mile out to the ISP. FTP would solve this in a heartbeat as I could just go and buy a fibre modem of my choice and a decent router, alas...

I've already got two AP's running and a total of five wifi LAN's on different IP ranges, but it's the same master DHCP server in the sky box...

Reply to Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Electrical Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net