'had a new consumer box fitted, it keeps tripping' | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 'had a new consumer box fitted, it keeps tripping' in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kiers1970

No problem mate, I can come and have a look.
whats the cost.
Explain I cannot give a fixed coast as I haven't a clue how long it might take to fix. £45 for first hour then 20£ an hour
'Can't you give a fixed cost, I haven't a lot of money'
No.

first thing I asked him. As we all know, this could be dead easy, or a real pain in the harris. Could hear his kids screaming in the background too. I think he was a gentleman from the far east too.(not Hull btw)

Once swapped an old fusebox for a new CU, all tested OK etc, explained to the customer what to do with RCDs. Not a hundred yards down the road when the phone goes - it's tripped. To celebrate the new CU she'd started to make a cake, plugged in her trusty old mixer and CLICK, off goes RCD. Time to retire her 30-year-old mixer ....

PJ

Kam, no offence meant, but some customers like to haggle over an agreed price, AFTER the work is completed.
And in my experience, and other trades too, they are often from other more exotic climes.
And it's hardly an offensive remark.

Kam, no offence meant, but some customers like to haggle over an agreed price, AFTER the work is completed.
And in my experience, and other trades too, they are often from other more exotic climes.
And it's hardly an offensive remark.

I agree. That was very often my experience too.

The other common one was where the gentleman of the house would agree the price before the work started, then when the time came to pay the agreed price, he was nowhere to be found, leaving the wife (who suddenly doesn't understand English) to look at you blankly while shrugging her shoulders.

It ended-up where there were certain potential customers that I just didn't bother with.

'I think he was a gentleman from the far east too'

And what the hell has that got to do with a fault on a CCU?

next I'll be reading the 'dentist tooth hurty gag'

The point has nothing to do with a fault. It's not unusual to hear someone 'speaking from experience'. It's all about the cost of the job and the remuneration forthcoming.

A builder I know always takes his own tea with him. Unheard of? That's what I thought. He explained he'd once done a job for someone whose first language was not English, who kindly brought out cups of tea during the work. When he presented them with the bill, they gave him a cheque smaller than the one expected, along with a price list for the cups of tea which made up the difference.

PJ

I agree. That was very often my experience too.

The other common one was where the gentleman of the house would agree the price before the work started, then when the time came to pay the agreed price, he was nowhere to be found, leaving the wife (who suddenly doesn't understand English) to look at you blankly while shrugging her shoulders.

It ended-up where there were certain potential customers that I just didn't bother with.

Very understandable GS. In my case it's led to 'small claims court' in the past. Thankfully, with a positive outcome.

Very understandable GS. In my case it's led to 'small claims court' in the past. Thankfully, with a positive outcome.

Yes, me too. But it's a hassle I didn't need & in the end I avoided the (potential) hassle.

Three things I learned quite early in business were: 1) Always use someone else's money. 2) Choose your customers carefully. 3) Don't waste time trying to sue someone who has no money or assets. (send the boys round instead !!)

Yes, me too. But it's a hassle I didn't need & in the end I avoided the (potential) hassle.

Three things I learned quite early in business were: 1) Always use someone else's money. 2) Choose your customers carefully. 3) Don't waste time trying to sue someone who has no money or assets. (send the boys round instead !!)

Good common sense (there should be an NVQ available). In my case they certainly had the means. I got as much out of winning the case as receiving the doe.

erm it is offensive who are you to make that call?... wow! everyone is trying to haggle these days mate dosen't matter where your back ground is from...
Slightly off subject... anyway off to watch some Jim Davidson vhs :behead:

Reply to 'had a new consumer box fitted, it keeps tripping' in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net