heat hoods for downlighters | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss heat hoods for downlighters in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi.

Do we know of any brand of compressible heat hood for downlighters which would go through a ~60mm hole then pop out? I'm not familiar with them, but ones I have seen on the web wouldn't appear to do that.

Edit: These are just to ensure insulation stays clear. They are not for fire protection also. This isn't a fire rated ceiling to to my knowlege.
Perhaps I just shove it back with a stick, but it might not stay.

Last edited:
OK.

It's not clear to me which ceilings might need intumescent fire caps under building regs, and which would be OK simply by shoving the insulation aside but accepting there was still a hole in the plasterboard ceiling.

Personally I hate downlighters, and would never install them (especially horrible inefficient tungsten halogen ones) in my house. Customer looked very hurt when I told him what a rubbish idea it was (as nicely as possible). The concept of trying to insulate a ceiling, then filling the insulation with huge holes exactly where the hottest parts are is dumb beyond belief.

Even if I persuade customer to fit ES type LED's (nice idea), leave the insulation in place. - He could in the future and fit halogens to the same fittings so that's a non starter safety-wise, at least until they ban halogens (pigs might fly) and regulations catch up.

By the time he has paid for the tungsten fittings and the fire hoods, it would probably have been a similar cost to install LED-only type downlighters. (Except I don't know if any LED-only standards for inset downlighters actually exist). - Do they?

Reply to heat hoods for downlighters in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net