Heating/water system wiring help needed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Heating/water system wiring help needed in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

YIKES

-
Reaction score
Having problems with the wiring of heating/water system here...can anyone help?

Boiler doesnt kick in when switched on for either heating or water or when both on...nothing happens.

Had an family friend who dabbles in electrics change an old analogue thermostat to a new analogue switch...dont think he knew what he was doing as he tried several combinations to connect wires...heating/water hasnt worked since his visit.

Can anyone advise me on the steps to take to correct this?

Many thanks

if you're lucky, it might be a fuse that's blown. when will these people learn that getting joe who's dabbled is not a cheap way of taking work off guys that know what they're doing.

Ta for the responses:

ayrshirespark: programmer meaning the timer switches (controls) for heating/water? boiler has remaind lit througout (Small flame) which i take to mean it isnt blown but i could be wrong?

telectrix / monkeyelectric: checked fuse in fuse box (spur?) next to boiler...seems ok...are there fuses elsewhere i can check?
also...i fitted a light in the hall here...unsuccessfully...it also affected lights in adjacent room here...got an electrician to assess the damage and quote for repairs...he said wires would need replacing...and as access to hall light was a nightmare..this family friend was called in to see if he could do anything...i didnt believe it myself but he repaired light within 8 minutes...siting it was wired incorrectly by me...this confidence lead to getting him to do the thermostat...logically i think i at the time but on hindsight...a bad decision

ste77: see above...say like it is and hold my hands up when i screw up ...your posting made me giggle lol :)

Depends on the boiler, I had a "plumber" say I wired up heating controls wrong and the boiler over ran, anyway even when the boiler was "off" the pilot light was still on (little blue flame), I would get someone in who knows heating wiring as it can be a real big pain and very confusing just guessing what's wrong. You need to follow the correct route and not replace things without checking the operation first.

Ps if your friend took 8 mins to fix the light then this should be a doddle roflol

I think you would be better off getting someone in who knows what they're doing, we could give you advise about what to look for but without seeing the setup its difficult and if you go poking around with it you could make the problem worse or electrocute yourself

Murdoch:
i had taken a picture of the wiring as was with the old thermostat....since he left i have wired it back to how it was with the old thermostat...this had no effect

monkeyelectric / chrish_1977:
after reverting back to original thermostat i then called a 'local' electrician via a google search...they wanted my payment card details before agreeing to send an electrician out...so once given they assured me someone would come by midday....long story short...no-one came and they have since taken £85 from my account ...i cant understand how dishonest people can sleep at night...that experience has taught me a lesson and am not unsure what to do next...
have very basic knowledge of electrics here having done the odd light fitting (some successfully) and extensions of power points etc...
once replacing the original thermostat back to how it was...my plan was to locate that wire back to the junction box and replace this wire with a new one and fit the new thermostat to it...looked at junction box wiring next to water tank and its like spaghetti to me and seems endless...checked the colour of the wires in thermostat (black brown blue and earth) and cannot for the life of me find the same colours in the junction box...so concluded there may be a wire extension block in the wall between the two

my head hurts!

Murdoch:
i had taken a picture of the wiring as was with the old thermostat....since he left i have wired it back to how it was with the old thermostat...this had no effect

monkeyelectric / chrish_1977:
after reverting back to original thermostat i then called a 'local' electrician via a google search...they wanted my payment card details before agreeing to send an electrician out...so once given they assured me someone would come by midday....long story short...no-one came and they have since taken £85 from my account ...i cant understand how dishonest people can sleep at night...that experience has taught me a lesson and am not unsure what to do next...
have very basic knowledge of electrics here having done the odd light fitting (some successfully) and extensions of power points etc...
once replacing the original thermostat back to how it was...my plan was to locate that wire back to the junction box and replace this wire with a new one and fit the new thermostat to it...looked at junction box wiring next to water tank and its like spaghetti to me and seems endless...checked the colour of the wires in thermostat (black brown blue and earth) and cannot for the life of me find the same colours in the junction box...so concluded there may be a wire extension block in the wall between the two

my head hurts!

Call your bank and report it as "fraud" - then report it in writing too. Banks start to take notice if companies get reported constructively

Welcome to the forum.

Your best bet is to pay a sparky who knows what he's doing for an hour or two of diagnostic and repair work.

By the way, posting the same question three times just annoys members and doesn't get your question answered any quicker.

Edit: Clearly I'm too slow for this forum!

Murdoch: have enlisted the help of a company who chase fraudulent transactions to recover monies taken.

Handysparks: Am new to this forum and so please accept my apologies for multiple posting...can i delete the others?

monkeyelectric: appreciate the consideration thanks :) ...think i will give it one full day on here to see if a local electrician comes forward...if not...am thinking of posting of junction box/boiler switch/thermostat wiring on here to see if any advice can be given from them....worth doing do you think?

monkeyelectric: appreciate the consideration thanks :) ...think i will give it one full day on here to see if a local electrician comes forward...if not...am thinking of posting of junction box/boiler switch/thermostat wiring on here to see if any advice can be given from them....worth doing do you think?
Its worth a shot, there may be something obvious that we can see on the photo's, it sounds like he's shorted out L and N at the thermostat and blown something, whether it be a fuse or a board in the programmer or boiler, if you do have a look yourself don't forget to isolate the circuit first and if you have a voltage tester just do a quick test to make sure its dead first L to N, L to E and N to E, you don't want to get blown up right before christmas

If you haven't got a feed at the thermostat, replacing it won't make it work. Can't you contact your card provider, was it a credit card? They should be able to get the money back for you. But you should get a local spark out, no one known by your family? Always better to go on recommendation, if I was coming up your way I would pop in, if its not fixed by next week pm me as I will be in Basingstoke working

How many valves you got, if there two its more than likely a s-plan, find out witch valve is the ch, look at the wiring center and the switched live from ure thermostat should be connected to the brown on the valve that will be the cable that goes to ure thermostat if its been joined with different colours at either end. Hope this helps

chrish_!977:
I will ping you if i am in this predicament come next week ta

Leesparkykent:
Think I have two valves here...'s-plan' doesnt mean anything to me but will research. Thank you. Will post some detailed pics on here tomorrow in the hope to make situation here clearer.

Handysparks:
Thanks. Have deleted one other thread...although this was by chance as i cannot figure out how i did it...the other thread has a footnote.

BillyTheSparks:
Yes i think so...I have already taken many pics which sit in my blackberry - just need to get to my flat for disc to transfer pics onto puter and then post onto here. Will have this sorted by midday tomorrow. Thanks.

Reply to Heating/water system wiring help needed in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net