• Thread starter tuckerkop81
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 1K

Discuss Hellpppppp!!!! in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tuckerkop81

Hi guys n Gals

Im having trouble getting my head round something that i think i should really know. ( just passed my 2330 )

So i have a living room, 6 lights in room on a dimmer switch, a few go out so am asked 'sort out' at work. I change the bulbs, still no luck so move on to changing the transformers. However, we have none of these in stock so order some in. ( They come back same specs, different make, cheaper !) Ive changed these now but they keep blowing also.

My question is what formular do i need to work out how many/much wattage i can put on a circuit. the above got me thinking that the 40w bulbs i was using were too pulling to much power and therefore blowing the trans??

An example would really help me with this!!

Thankyou and sorry to be a pest.

Yes they are dimmable transformers. Ok, so the trans i used was 20 - 60w if i remember correctly. Does this mean i could in theory have as many lights as i like without it effecting the mcb?

voltage x mcb rating will give you the watts for the circuit. 230x6(if your mcb is 6A)=1380 so count your lights up. Bear in mind installation methods, cable sizing and other factors that may need to be considered.

Also, check you dimmer switch aint fubar. Popping lamps can sometimes knacker these up

OK 6 lights (12v 50W spots?) so 300W total each light will need the Tx you mentioned (20-60w) we have established that they are dimmable. The dimmer switch itself needs to be rated above 300W higher the better I would say 500W then it will cope with the dimming of that type of light. or alternatively the not so popular route of putting 3 lights on one 250W dimmer on a two gang dimmer switch and the other three on the other. Also one other footnote check the cables going to the lamp holder as this could be shorting out if the light fittings are old..... Good Luck :)

Reply to Hellpppppp!!!! in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net