Help Please - is this normal practice? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Help Please - is this normal practice? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I don't do a great deal of commercial work and would appreciate your comments on the following: -

I had to replace the existing downlighters & Emergency Exit signs in a Hotel recently, when I went to isolate said circuits I found them to be fed via two 3 phase boards in the Kitchen, on closer examination & testing before isolation I was surprised to find that I had 230v between line & neutral but 0v between phases. On closer examination I found that these two boards were being fed from another location via swa.

Opening the cupboard in a back office I was greeted by a right mess, the phases from the meter has been split via Henley blocks, one of which has been used to supply all three terminals of a 3 phase Switchfuse this feeds the two 3 phase boards in the kitchen via the swa, the second board in the kitchen is piggy backed from the first board.

Please see attached photos

This just doesn't look right to me and I would appreciate any comments before I complete the EIC.

I apologise for the poor quality of the mobile phone photos.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Help Please - is this normal practice?
    photo1.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 76
    photo6.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 76
    photo7.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 87
    photo4.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 78
    photo.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 87
    photo2.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 86
    photo3.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 93
so they have converted a 3phase board into a single phase one. its not usually done that way, its usually done by buying a conversion kit, which links out the three phases in the board. if i didnt want to buy the kit, i would make links up from cable and do it in the board. i wouldnt bother with the hassle of running 3 sets of cable to one location, when your relying on a single cable into a henley anyway. how are the new boards earthed? i cant see a cpc in the swithcfuse.

so they have converted a 3phase board into a single phase one. its not usually done that way, its usually done by buying a conversion kit, which links out the three phases in the board. if i didnt want to buy the kit, i would make links up from cable and do it in the board. i wouldnt bother with the hassle of running 3 sets of cable to one location, when your relying on a single cable into a henley anyway. how are the new boards earthed? i cant see a cpc in the swithcfuse.

Hi Johnboy

There is a separate 16mm CPC feeding the boards in the kitchen I will have to double check for an earth at the switchfuse end.

I'd be interested to see how well the phases are balanced; it could be that the 3 phase board was shoved onto one phase to even things out, or that may have made things worse.
I would have thought it would make more sense to move one or both of those single phase boards onto a different phase if that was an option.

I’d be more interested in the neutral current!

Ever heard of seven league boots, I’d find a pair and leg it as far away from this as possible.

A hotel!
Turn the power off while you sort it out!
You’ve a snowballs chance in hell!

Reply to Help Please - is this normal practice? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net