Help wires for outside lights | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Help wires for outside lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

djmanxie

DIY
Reaction score
Hi I have a small problem had new windows fitted to my porch and the guys that fitted them took down my old lights and left the wires out ready for me to put new ones up only when I did put the new ones up they didn’t work only to find out that they have removed 2 of the wires from the switch but they did mark them as outside light wires but am still waiting for them to call back but that was 6 months ago
So I opened the light switch to find 2 single red wires with tape on but don’t know which connection to put them in as in the photo
Top row says L1 L2 Common
Bottom row says Common L1 L2
Do I need to call an electrician out or is this something I can do thanks
Any help with this would be much appreciated

[ElectriciansForums.net] Help wires for outside lights

Is this 2 switches for 2 lights?

Goes without saying, but make sure the circuit is isolated, and you actually have lights fitted outside.

Basically, this is 2 switches on one plate. Common, L1, L2 on the left is one switch in a triangle shape…. same on the right but inverted.

Put one red into L1 on the left, put the other into L1 on the right. Do not put anything in the L2’s.

if the wrong switch operates the wrong light, swap the 2 L1’s over.

If a switch is “off” when it should be “on”, then use L2 on just that switch instead of L1, and leave L1 unused.

Reply to Help wires for outside lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net