Currently reading:
Hi there, any chance you could......

Discuss Hi there, any chance you could...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
So I work out a quote for a customer. Two months later, nothing heard. That's fine, the customer is under no obligation to reply, although it would be polite.

A couple of weeks ago he asks for another quote for some different work. I get it out to him straight away. No reply as yet.

Today, he texts.....

"I'm having a handy man run some cables in to position. He's asking if I can get them checked out by an electrician, could you pop over or could I just send you pictures?"

I sent a politely worded reply, basically saying 'No'.

I always remember my mate talking to someone in the pub about a re-wire, the bloke went over the spec and my mate went away and did the figures, ÂŁ2.5k he says. The bloke says gosh that's a bit steep, how much would it be if I did all the chases and ran the cables for you. My mate say oh, ok let me take another look at it, he goes away again and 5 minutes later goes back up to the bloke at the bar and says ÂŁ2.5k.

Please tell me your reply was just that one word, No.
I wish I could give you better news Westward, but I'm afraid not. It was a politely written paragraph, but to the point.

The builder/handy man is now going to stop what he is doing and the customer has asked me what I would be happy with, and would I need to completely rewire what the other chap has done, in order to feel right about signing it off. So basically a pretty good response.

I'll pop over and make a decision.

Of course if I had just responded 'No', I may not have got such a polite response :D . It would have been a better story though.

To be honest I wouldn't get involved with a customer like this. If they think that's acceptable behaviour then they obviously don't subscribe to far pay for a decent job school of thought so it's only going to get worse when it comes to invoice time. If you do decide to work for them I'd assume there's a high chance of problems so make sure all your paperwork is in good order ready for the small claims court.

To be honest I wouldn't get involved with a customer like this. If they think that's acceptable behaviour then they obviously don't subscribe to far pay for a decent job school of thought so it's only going to get worse when it comes to invoice time. If you do decide to work for them I'd assume there's a high chance of problems so make sure all your paperwork is in good order ready for the small claims court.
I agree Marvo. I have had one or two tingles of doubt about this customer. I 'think' he is OK though.
I'll update if the story gets more interesting!

Update..

I went back around a month ago. Gave him a third quote, for the little bit of work mentioned above, which he wanted done quickly.

Nothing heard.

3 quotes now. No response to any of them. I'll do the work if he ends up accepting them, which sometimes can be months later. However, no more quotes. I have about 5 people on my phone (out of maybe 200) which have 'DO NOT QUOTE' next to there name. I love being self employed and being able to choose who I allow in to my working life.

Update..

I went back around a month ago. Gave him a third quote, for the little bit of work mentioned above, which he wanted done quickly.

Nothing heard.

3 quotes now. No response to any of them. I'll do the work if he ends up accepting them, which sometimes can be months later. However, no more quotes. I have about 5 people on my phone (out of maybe 200) which have 'DO NOT QUOTE' next to there name. I love being self employed and being able to choose who I allow in to my working life.
That is not a terrible idea to mark them up like that.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi there, any chance you could...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock