High power manually-reset thermal cutout solution | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss High power manually-reset thermal cutout solution in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to create a thermal cutout circuit to protect a large (10sqm) silicone heat pad table. The total heat pad load is around 30A (split between seven 1kW heat pads), running off a single phase 32A supply. The heaters are controlled with Eurotherms and SSRs, which fail in the closed position. Because of this I want to add thermal switches, but in a manually-resetting circuit. Due to the size of the table, the switches will be very hard to reach (wedged underneath a 500kg steel plate), hence why I dont want to just use thermal fuses.

The max table temp is 90deg, so I was planning to use 110deg switches to switch off the power to the control box via a power relay, the power relay is initially switched on by use of a momentary switch. Once the relay is closed, the coil is powered by the mains supply, until a thermal switch breaks this circuit and powers off the relay. The control box will then not power back on until the thermal switches have closed again, and the momentary switch is manually pressed. See diagram below.

[ElectriciansForums.net] High power manually-reset thermal cutout solution

However, I cannot find a power relay to these specs. The link below is the closest I could find, but contact rating is only 30A.

I am slightly worried that the right components don't exist because my design is wrong in some way. So if anyone can help with the correct components or a new design that would be amazing.

Thanks

If the heating elements each have their own thyristor switches then you will have to include an over temperature sensor to monitor each element t- the sensors wired as a daisy-chain. If the elements are all controlled by one thyristor switch then one might consider only monitoring only one element and regard it as a proxy for all the others - but I think/regard this to be poor design and each should be monitored , especially since the sensors - are relatively cheap. I think too you ought to have a digital thermometer actually measuring the temperature at various locations via selectable sensors placed over the heating table.

The advice on doing a risk assessment and failure modes is very good albeit it may seem like putting obstacles in your way - you want a working, reliable and safe product.

PS: I see my esteemed colleagues have said as much already - we are a chorus then :)

Just to add, many plastic extrusion machines have a similar control method and requirements.
might be worth having a chat with someone experienced in building them.

Reply to High power manually-reset thermal cutout solution in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar threads

• Question
This contactor you suggested unfortunately only has two NO switches rather than 1 NC and 1 NO required for the CR3 current sensing bypass...
Replies
Views
Yet another update: I believe what EDF have done is moved me from an Economy 9 to an Economy 7. I've just emailed them to ask if they can switch...
Replies
Views

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back