Currently reading:
Horsebox conversion electrical guidance please

Discuss Horsebox conversion electrical guidance please in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

joegmac

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm currently converting a horsebox into a coffee unit and I'm looking for some guidance on what route to go down power wise, any help would be much appreciated.

Here's my expected electrical requirements -

Item - Must HavesWattage (w)
BAM2E Coffee Machine 2850
Under counter fridge400
Under counter freezer400
Small lights 20
Water heater under sink1500
Seaflo accumulator 12
Shureflow pump12

Total - 5194 w

Item - Nice to havesWattage (w)
Low wattage urn1800
Small confection oven2200

Grand total - 9194w

I've done some research online however questions I still have are as follows (Sorry I'm very new to all this)

- Do I go for a 32a or 16a input? I know my requirements are to big for solely 16a so I'd have to power the rest with a generator. If I go for 32a and I encounter a pitch/event where the input is 16a, is it just a case of using an adapter with the 16a and powering the rest of my electrics with a genny?

- In terms of genny, should I go for a duel fuel or solely petrol? I believe some events restrict people from using petrol generators hence me thinking the duel fuel route (Has anyone else found this?)

- Some generators I'm considering.. does anyone know why the first linked champion is 7000w yet seems cheaper than some 3500w options? Seems strange to me.

Champion 7000 Watt Dual Fuel Generator With Electric Start Champion Cpg7500E2-Df | Generator Pro - https://generator-pro.co.uk/product/champion-7000-watt-dual-fuel-generator-with-electric-start-champion-cpg7500e2-df/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1qO0BhDwARIsANfnkv_NnDphY-o-ttQRKJ02MEVBECyYy30QQT1W0XPGtq9G1a1OJ6oqaioaAqNuEALw_wcB (Will this one only work at 50% power?, i'm reading this part in the description
"Please Note!!! Dual voltage generators will only give approx. 50-60% of the rated output wattage on 120v per socket.
Please Note: 110v is 40-50% lower output (watts) than 230v, if full power is required on 110v than a single phase 110v only generator is required."

- GreenGear LPG Power Generator GE-5000UK - Generators Direct - https://www.generators-direct.co.uk/product/greengear-lpg-power-generator-ge-5000uk/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1qO0BhDwARIsANfnkv-Nak8vLBj1Ur3ZQoRQ2KZeUe1LrIQF4y_88V2PI_hDHNZCDKhguJMaAmc5EALw_wcB

Thanks all its much appreciated.

Joe

TL;DR
Electrical guidance for a converted horsebox trailer
Just to say questions on this topic have cropped up here before. If you're interested, and haven't already, try searching say "coffee trailer".
I got the impression that gas powered appliances were favoured where possible, but if you are assured of having a site mains supply, perhaps all electric is viable.

As above. LPG (propane) powered appliances wherever possible will make your electricity supply needs much simpler, plus enable you to operate away from mains power.
An often unconsidered advantage of a dual fueled generator is that it can be hooked up to a large cylinder that will power it for days, instead of having to refill a small petrol tank every couple of hours.
Note that all wiring is required to use flexible cables, not the T&E that you'd wire a fixed building with.

Just to say questions on this topic have cropped up here before. If you're interested, and haven't already, try searching say "coffee trailer".
I got the impression that gas powered appliances were favoured where possible, but if you are assured of having a site mains supply, perhaps all electric is viable.

Thanks I had searched this and looked at the previous material but felt my question was slightly different and also asking for thoughts on the generators.

I'm looking to go all electric at the moment due to extra conversion costs associated with gas power and the relative ease, just hoping most events have 32a available as that would be my needs sorted.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm leaning toward a 32a supply (As researching and speaking to other event traders most events provide this as a mains connection and I can always adapt down if needed).

Last edited:
Don't try to run half generator/half mains, use either one or the other.

Most events will supply you with whatever size supply you request, generally you will be charged accordingly.

A lot of events these days do not allow traders to bring their own generators for environmental reasons, most traders aren't set up for proper fuel handling and transfer or spill management.
Some events will permit LPG generators but some have a blanket ban.

Don't try to run half generator/half mains, use either one or the other.

Most events will supply you with whatever size supply you request, generally you will be charged accordingly.

A lot of events these days do not allow traders to bring their own generators for environmental reasons, most traders aren't set up for proper fuel handling and transfer or spill management.
Some events will permit LPG generators but some have a blanket ban.

Thanks Dave, going to go for a 32a supply and use that when available / when its not I'm looking to purchase the below generator which looks efficient as well as leaves me abit of breathing space should I want to add any appliances in the future.

Hyundai 6600W / 6.6kW Petrol Inverter Generator, Remote Keyfob & Electric Start, Wheels & Closed Case Design, DC & USB | HY6500SEi​

Don't forget about diversity. Not all those appliances will be using the full rated power all the time. You could use a smaller generator if you scheduled your power up routine as part of a site set up process. Same if you went through a hard line supply on 16a.
On a small generator I wouldn't want to risk using diversity as they are not quite as forgiving as a mains supply and can very quickly fail when they are only slightly overloaded in essence the generator becomes the fuse as any fitted overload protection doesn't allow for the time or excess current it needs to trip

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Horsebox conversion electrical guidance please in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock