Hot tub wiring | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Hot tub wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, im not a sparky but just wanted to pick someones brain.
Ive just got a hot tub cheap from a friend and going to get an electrician to wire it up.
My problem is that im a mid terrace and my fuse box is at the front of the house hot tub in the back.
I dont have the option to run a wire from the fuse box without ripping half the house apart. I have a utilty room at the back and wondered if a fused spur or something could be run off the plug in the utility room.
The fuse in the fuse box for the utility room us 32amp but also runs half the sockets in the house.
The hot tub is 5.5kw and 15 meters from fuse box and 4 meters from utility room plug.
Can the 32 amp fuse be upgraded or something?
Is there any way round it so I dont have to run a new wire direct from the fuse box?

thanks in advance for any help

Hello, im not a sparky but just wanted to pick someones brain.
Ive just got a hot tub cheap from a friend and going to get an electrician to wire it up.
My problem is that im a mid terrace and my fuse box is at the front of the house hot tub in the back.
I dont have the option to run a wire from the fuse box without ripping half the house apart. I have a utilty room at the back and wondered if a fused spur or something could be run off the plug in the utility room.
The fuse in the fuse box for the utility room us 32amp but also runs half the sockets in the house.
The hot tub is 5.5kw and 15 meters from fuse box and 4 meters from utility room plug.
Can the 32 amp fuse be upgraded or something?
Is there any way round it so I dont have to run a new wire direct from the fuse box?

thanks in advance for any help

No it has to be on a radial circuit from your consumer unit. Is it concrete floors then?

No way around it with a load that size. A new circuit will have to be added. Your electrician will be able to go through the options with you and there'll possibly be an option that doesn't involve "ripping half the house apart". No-one here will likely be able to help you more without seeing the job.

If it's a terrace, depending on the age, it might has a suspended floor for the best part of the house do you might be able to get a cable most of the way there to limit any damage etc, or disruption as I'd rather call it as I try to avoid damaging houses where possible!

As already mentioned,a dedicated circuit will be required....and i have to ask...living in a mid-terrace property,was the hot-tub extremely cheap? ...or did you win it on Bullseye? :smile5:

Simon You said you were getting an Electrician in to do this work, but it appears you you are asking the members How to do the job yourself, I'm afraid this can't be allowed on an open forum for Electricians.

I am closing the thread before too much advice is handed out, Admin may decide to move it to Diy after.

Reply to Hot tub wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net