How should I relocate the downstairs hall/landing light switch box? | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss How should I relocate the downstairs hall/landing light switch box? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

CJL

-
Reaction score
Hi all, apologies if my description & terminology is 'novice'!

I need to relocate the light switch box (with x2 switches) which currently is in a Cupboard in the downstairs entrance hall; initially this box was in the Hall but part of the Hall was subsequently blocked into a Cupboard, trapping the Hall & Landing switches there. This currently is inconvenient as it requires one to first open the Cupboard Door before switching the lights.

What I intend to do (but will heed advice to confirm it is safe & complying to wiring regs) is described below:
  • Channel into the plaster, horizontally from the existing switches box to just outside the cupboard door, where I intend to install a new light switch box (x2 switches - as now). The distance is about 12 inches.
  • Retain the existing light switch box (plastic), but use it as a junction box, and replace the switch faceplate with a blanking plate.
  • I intend to extend the cables coming into the original switch box (which will become the junction box) by soldering all cables, and using shrink sleeves.
  • Use some form of ducting leading to the new light switch box.
  • Feed the extended cables (from the original light switch box) through this ducting and terminate in a a replica switch in the new position.
  • I realise the 'normal' & conventional way of doing this would be to go vertically up but due to coving etc, as well as the proximity of the new position of the light switch I'd prefer to go horizontally across to the new switch position just outside the Cupboard door); as noted above this is a short distance of about 12 inches.
I would be very grateful if an experienced electrician can advise me if what I outline above is safe and acceptable to current wiring regulations. If not I shall leave as is! Would it help if I used metal piping as ducting between the two boxes (to prevent anybody drilling into the cables mistakenly expecting cabling to be fed vertically)?

Thank you - Chris

PS. If it helps I can upload a couple of photos.

Hi,

This sounds relatively straight forward. It wouldn't cost much for an electrician to do this work so I'd recommend getting one in.

Assuming you have rcd/rcbo protection etc and are not a complete plumb as normally i would say get an electrician in.
given the short distances involved, why not just use some plastic surface mounted trunking, ignore the sticky stuff and screw it to wall so it stays in place (say 16 x 25mm) and then in the existing back box/pattress box use wago connectors to join the cables. Turn the power off , label your wires so you know which goes where, then extend using the adaptors and problem solved. I wont get into the issue of where you can and cant run cables too that you hinted at.
Of course in an ideal world you would get an electrician in, but my instinct says you will just go on and attempt it anyway, regardless of what ever we might say... so if you do go down the diy route make sure to play safe....

In the regulations safe zones are identified and make use of vertical and horizontal routes guided by the position of a switch box

Label the wires before undoing any of them ! Then take a few clear photos on your phone. Also if you are intending on buying a new switch (so that matches the new back box for example) make sure it's wiring connections match the one you are removing. Using the surface trunking as suggested should see you through.

Thank you all for replying; sounds straightforward & getting an electrician to do it seems the easiest option. Thank you again

Reply to How should I relocate the downstairs hall/landing light switch box? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net