How to connect 2-core SWA safely? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How to connect 2-core SWA safely? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kevdavies

There is a length of 2-core SWA cable that runs from my house underneath the garden and into the garage. It was there when we moved in and it looks like it has never been connected up. I'd like to have supply power to the garage for a battery charger and a couple of lights. What is the cheapest, easiest way to do this?

First thought was 16A trailing plug and sockets (2P+E) going into an RCD plug and a 4-way extension at the other end. But there is no earth. I'd have to use the armour for the main earth.

Any suggestions?

I'm very new to all this! I've just started re-training as an electrician so may have missed something obvious!

I think Kev was expecting a different answer there Murdoch!

Maybe but as a trainee the best way to learn is to outline what he thinks so others can comment.......

I know others rush to outline the list of parts but from the OP he has already got part of the way so lets gently help him.

Ha ha - fair comment. It's not a homework question if that's what you think! I just want to be able to put my motorbike battery on trickle charge - honest!

My 'ideas' is to run it on 16A plug and sockets but not sure if the simply connecting the armour to a metal gland will be OK or not. Suppose I should dig out the regs book and have a browse. Just being lazy aren't I!!!

you can use the armour as earthing. what size is the SWA? do your calculations and see if it will do. then you need to determine what and where you fit your protective devices. if yo give us an idea of what you think , then assistance will be forthcoming. nobody will give you a readers digest "how to wire a shed" guide. you need to know what you are diong and why.

OK. Here's the plan!
Forgive the dodgy terminology.

In-line RCD plugged into existing socket
13A plug to 16A socket (flex)
16A plug wired to SWA with armour connected via brass gland
other end of SWA wired to 16A socket with armour connected via brass gland
16A plug to 13A 4-way extension socket

How does that sound?

OK. Here's the plan!

How does that sound?

dodgy!

It's pointless anyone here giving you any instructions on what to do because they will have to type out a whole instruction manual to cover their arse! But I was say DO NOT use your dodgy plan you have thought up.

I don't expect detailed instructions. Just some pointers. I just thought this may have been a good place to exchange knowledge built from experience. Admittedly I have not got a lot of electrical knowledge to offer at the moment as I'm new to the game, but I am no spring chicken.

I have run my own business in a completely unrelated field for over 10 years. I use a few forums and there are normally people who have several years experience take great pleasure in putting newbies down and offer nothing to help. Quite a sad pastime I think. Luckily I can tie these folk in knots if they try it on me as I have enough knowledge there. Obviously I can't do that here.

So when I make a suggestion and quite openly state I'm at the learning stage, giving me an answer of 'dodgy' is beyond useless. What may have been helpful would be "that is dangerous because.............".

I'll hang around it bit longer to see if there are helpful suggestions and in the meantime I'll have a browse for a more suitable forum to get involved with.

Thanks all.

kev. with all due respect, it's far too complex an issue to go into properly on a forum. then there's also the dreaded notification to Building Control. ( give 'em £300 for starters ). might get away with it after april though. then there's testing .

Kev, you have to think of this place like a building site's bait cabin. Come up with something daft in there and you'll get torn to bits (in a good natured way though)
Have a think about what your load is going to be and forget plug tops mate

OK. Here's the plan!

How does that sound?

So the armoured cable is not at the ccu, its just next to a socket?

if you intend not to do any fixed wiring then terminate both ends of swa using adaptable boxes, swa glads and piranha nuts for earths.
from the box get some flex ending with 13a plug. (use plastic cable glands)
other end into an extension lead.

SWA is designed to be fixed wiring - I can't imagine the armouring clamp nut is going to hold on for long if it is moved around every so often, and being two-core once the armour comes loose that's your CPC knackered.

It needs to be cleated to something solid, and terminated into a proper fixed enclosure at both ends or consumer unit which also doesn't move. Then you can fuse it appropriately and go off to your flex to do whatever. (oh Amlu has just said as much).

If the SWA is sitting next to a socket, then I suppose you can spur off that in the same CSA into a metal adaptable box and connect to your armoured that way, but it's not very conventional.

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I think trying to put a plug on SWA is a recipe for disaster.

I don't expect detailed instructions. Just some pointers. I just thought this may have been a good place to exchange knowledge built from experience. Admittedly I have not got a lot of electrical knowledge to offer at the moment as I'm new to the game, but I am no spring chicken.

I have run my own business in a completely unrelated field for over 10 years. I use a few forums and there are normally people who have several years experience take great pleasure in putting newbies down and offer nothing to help. Quite a sad pastime I think. Luckily I can tie these folk in knots if they try it on me as I have enough knowledge there. Obviously I can't do that here.

So when I make a suggestion and quite openly state I'm at the learning stage, giving me an answer of 'dodgy' is beyond useless. What may have been helpful would be "that is dangerous because.............".

I'll hang around it bit longer to see if there are helpful suggestions and in the meantime I'll have a browse for a more suitable forum to get involved with.

Thanks all.

I was trying to be polite. Ok, matey, dam right dangerous.

2 core and no proper connection for the CPC.

Sorry all but can't seem to turn off the bold and underline.

Reply to How to connect 2-core SWA safely? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net