How to connect 2-core SWA safely? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How to connect 2-core SWA safely? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you do not want to have this as fixed wiring then it would be far easier just to run an extension lead to the garage for when you want power, this would avoid any problems with poor connections.

If you are going to use the SWA then the only real answer is to have it as fixed wiring. If the SWA does not reach to the consumer unit then you should extend the circuit back to the consumer unit with an appropriately sized and protected cable. Use suitable circuit protection at the consumer unit and set up a satiable circuit in the garage, if needs be just one double socket.
However you do need to do your calculations for the circuit and ensure you have the appropriate protection.

As already pointed out, this is notifiable to building control by law, so you need to pay up-front or get a part P electrician to do the work.
Having any kind of fixed wiring on a plug and socket does not stop it from being "fixed wiring", so that won't exempt you from notifying.
If you were to do this work yourself, do you have the calibrated test gear to carry out testing to ensure the install is safe? If you can't actually test it, how will you know that the OCPD will trip within the allowable time?

how will you know that the OCPD will trip within the allowable time?

stick a nail across? :57:

Another satisfied customer......:mickey:

I'd think about having the armoured cable correctly sized and protected, fixed securely and glanded off correctly. with protection and sockets ready for safe use.

The benefits are that it will add to the value of your property, it will allow for future expansion when you feel the need to move the mig welder into the shed to add bits to your bike.

Ruffed in electrical wiring rings alarm bells to prospective buyers and their surveyors come along and expect large amounts of money to knocked off the price.

Even dirty light switches and socket fronts automatically make people think "dodgy electrics", so obvious lash-ups like this definitely will.

If the beatings I got at school happened now, way over half the staff would be sacked! :)

Tell me about it.

Caned on the hands (3 times on each) Strapped on hand and arse with a leather strap. Hit on arse with gym shoe. hit on head and anywhere els by a thrown black board duster. Hit across shoulders and arse with a blackboard ruler and that was all before lunch!!

Not only would the teachers be sacked if they did that today, they would be in jail.

The thing is though, THEY were in charge and WE knew it. There was no messing about - there was discipline.

Tell me about it.

Caned on the hands (3 times on each) Strapped on hand and arse with a leather strap. Hit on arse with gym shoe. hit on head and anywhere els by a thrown black board duster. Hit across shoulders and arse with a blackboard ruler and that was all before lunch!!

Not only would the teachers be sacked if they did that today, they would be in jail.

The thing is though, THEY were in charge and WE knew it. There was no messing about - there was discipline.
Yes, because the kids were terrified. Some teachers got order through fear, others got it because their lessons were interesting

Yes, because the kids were terrified. Some teachers got order through fear, others got it because their lessons were interesting

That is exactly the way it was.

In my entire school life I think there were only two teachers who I could begin to like and respect. One was a science teacher who really knew his stuff but performed demonstrations in the style of Tommy Cooper so you always remembered them, and the other was my final year form teacher who was a pupil at the same school and in the same class as my Mum and he married Mum's friend. He was in the RAF during the war and flew Mosquito fighter bombers. A great bloke - very patient and very fair. He became headmaster the year after I left.

And talking about leaving school; that last day when I walked out of those gates for the very last time was the happiest day of my entire school life !!

He was in the RAF during the war and flew Mosquito fighter bombers. A great bloke - very patient and very fair. He became headmaster the year after I left.

Just to add a little perspective, the couple of RAF guys I've come into contact within the teaching profession were and are complete plonkers.

although the one who taught me at college was enlightened and interesting, but then in the forces he had authority these other two just used to spend their time balancing the chips on both shoulders so that they didn't appear to be biased, ignorant and bigoted....

Reply to How to connect 2-core SWA safely? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net