How tolerant of customers are you? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How tolerant of customers are you? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oscar21

Nearly Esteemed
Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that I don't have much enthusiasm for doing this job anymore, its only the relatively easy money that keeps me going but why on earth do customers think the world revolves around them. Just in the last week I turned up to do some lights in a bathroom for a small building firm and I already told him I only had a day or so free yet when I got there he had already volunteered my labour out to the householder to do some extra work in his bedroom and office, then comes the "oh but its getting plastered on Monday excuse.

Then this Saturday morning I get a phone call of someone who wants a job pricing, yet last time he didn't even get back to me on the last job I quoted for him and then after six months wanted it all re-quoting again as the spec had changed, he didn't even end up getting the job at all. So Saturday morning he emails the drawings, by Saturday afternoon there was a missed call off him and then a text saying "have you had a chance to look yet" FFS its Saturday man.

And lastly my neighbour, he wants an EICR, abou 10 extra sockets and a consumer unit change at his other house, I said "I'm quite busy at the moment, my mate is doing a re-wire by himself and I'll only do it if we both do it, but also I want to spend a few days at home doing my bathroom first whilst I've got the chance, I'll let you know when I can do it" He then throws out the decorator speil as they all do - This was last Friday, this morning (Tuesday he's been knocking on my door (which I ignored as it was early and I'm off), 3 missed calls from him and this evening he's been knocking again (ignored again).

Its like this constantly, everyone is under the impression that they are the most important precious person in the world and can't comprehend that someone might have something else to do and not drop everything for them. Its very rare now that you get customers that are even remotely organised.

So how do others handle this, do you just accept that the customer is king and rush round obeying their every command, working yourself to death until 9PM every night or just tell them to sod off.

If a customer has unreasonable expectations then it's up to us to explain what is, or isn't, feasible.

Turn up to do a job and the customer has a list of addtitional work? Do it if it suits. If it doesn't suit then explain that you've penciled in time for the previously discussed work and that it isn't possible to carry out the additional work at this time. Ask them if they'd like to schedule a future date for this work. Plaster coming on Monday doesn't change anything if you don't have time. I'll accomodate people where possible, but not at the expense of other customers.

Emails on a Saturday are fine as I can choose to read them when it suits. Customer expecting answers to a Saturday email? Speak to them if it suits and, if not, send a short reply telling them that you're away with 'X' or off to 'Y' for the day and that you'll take a look at the details on Monday. Most people will realise the imposition and apologise.

No mileage in being annoyed at these situations - just manage customer expectations as politely as possible and give a polite 'no' to customers for whom you don't want to work.

You seem to have problems with customers, officials, apprentices, 'office boys', health and safety people, etc.

I get that a bit from New customers, expect an instant quote and start it next week co's X Y Z is happening.
Err no I'm 6-8 weeks booking so won't be with you on Monday!
My regular customers know how it works and are usually happy to wait, ok so they do break things and have faults, these I will always try to attend same day. These are great customers who appreciate your expertise and understand your workload. The sort you want!

I can usually read potential customers quite well, so tend to avoid the jobs that I know will be a pain, and I don't do very much domestic which tends to help considerably!!

I had a customer call and ask about work, told them I was booked for 3-4 weeks but could come and give them an estimate within 2-3 days. They decided not to bother

They then called me 3 weeks later and asked when I could start- had to explain I was taking bookings 3-4 weeks ahead and I could fit them in then, but not now.

Have had a couple of landlords from down south buying properties and within the first 30 seconds of coversation asking how much discount they would get. They were surprised when I told them no discount

never work for other trades and never work for private clients who have zero idea of how things work .Just get rid of them . I tend to be "3 month out" and only fit things in for my good clients or a small emergency if it "suits me" .The rest can jog on and find someone "cheap and available " and then wish they had not !

It’s all been said but boils down to new customers work to my terms and timescales or get politely told to find someone else.
I’ll put myself out for long standing loyal customers.
Yesterday at 4:40pm the caretaker of a community centre called me. I’ve worked for them for years. No lights in both toilets and a booking later? Sure I’ll pop over, he’d already got new light fittings and PIRs on the shelf to cover whatever it was, helping me to help him.
5 minutes later someone had broken a shower pull cord and ‘I need it doing tonight’. Sorry, I’m booked up, you might want to find someone else.

never work for other trades and never work for private clients who have zero idea of how things work .Just get rid of them . I tend to be "3 month out" and only fit things in for my good clients or a small emergency if it "suits me" .The rest can jog on and find someone "cheap and available " and then wish they had not !
I'm begining to think like this now, I very rarely work for builders anymore but the couple that I still do work for are the worst payers out of the lot. I've just done the banking tonight and surprise surprise the only two invoices that haven't been paid are from the two builders. There is one client that we do loads of work for and he pays the invoice the next day without fail, I know you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket but I think I'll just do work for him from now on, at least for a while anyway.

that customer I mentioned earlier that wants the quote, I've not done a detailed quote yet but sent him some figures across on Monday evening from a near identical job on we did a year ago or so. Not heard a dickybird from him since, no thanks for the info or anything. He probably hasn't even bought the property and is just using me (and other trades) to see if its worth him doing it.

Reply to How tolerant of customers are you? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net