Hypervolt charger without ct clamp | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Hypervolt charger without ct clamp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I’m looking to fit an Ev charger to a property.
An extension was built and a 10mm swa was ran from the cu to the driveway but no cat 5.
My question is can a Hypervolt charger work without a ct clamp?
There is no easy way to get a cat 5 to the driveway.
The main fuse is 80 amps and I’ve a max demand of 45 amps for the house.
I’d say I could use a zappi and harvi combo if a hypervolt couldn’t be used.
Cheers all.

RF link/wi-fi bridge to mimic the missing Cat 5?
TP-link powerline using the 10mm swa - might take some bodgery to provide a 13A socket each end for the modules 🫣 ?
Thanks for the reply.
I can’t see how I would incorporate a tp link style set up within the charger.
I will more than likely go with a zappi/ harvi wireless combo.
If a hypervolt could work without a ct I would go with that purely for the aesthetics of it.
Cheers

Sorry, I was thinking you needed a LAN connection.
But what you need is a physical cable to carry the CT current.
My mistake - just ignore me 🤪 !
I was just about to ask about wi-fi CT clamps:)

I thought I had missed the introduction of this bit of kit

I was just about to ask about wi-fi CT clamps:)
I thought I had missed the introduction of this bit of kit
I now get that's sort of the Zappi & Harvi combo, but it's not a 'universal' solution. Must be possible? 🤔
They exist as ct to wi-fi to an app, but not as far as I know to a current source that replicates the output of the original ct

Edit: apologies for being boring, but it seems there are solutions in the industrial world - just a question of someone being mad/bold enough to experiment and find what (if any) work with EVCPs (battery might be a bit of a problem!?)

Last edited:
The ct is there for load management. I’m pretty sure you can set it up without it, and just be sure you never take more than the house fuse can handle.
The max the hypervolt will take is 32A? So 32+45 is less than your 80A fuse.

Edit: apologies for being boring, but it seems there are solutions in the industrial world - just a question of someone being mad/bold enough to experiment and find what (if any) work with EVCPs (battery might be a bit of a problem!?)
Only had a quick look, but output is 4-20mA or 1-5V. So unipolar, DC, not zero based, and not continuous.
I suspect the DC aspect will be the killer - I woukd ecpect the charger to be using phase angle to differentiate between import & export power flows - high current export means plenty of power available, high current input means current needs to be restricted.

There is an option for “no CT” as I thought.

Bottom of this page….

Just a din switch setting.

The ct is there for load management. I’m pretty sure you can set it up without it, and just be sure you never take more than the house fuse can handle.
The max the hypervolt will take is 32A? So 32+45 is less than your 80A fuse.
Yes. I also contacted my dno and they said it wouldn’t be a problem power wise. “ your cutout has plenty of Headroom” was the term used.

I fitted 2 hypervolt 2.0 for my FIL, one at home, one at his holiday lodge in aviemore.
The holiday one has been set dumb. Set up online, but then disconnected.

He turns it off completely when no one is there.

If I go up, I hook it up to my phone and download any updates for it.

I found them really easy to fit and set up…. And I think they are sold through CEF now.
I bought direct from hypervolt at the time.

I contacted Hypervolt last night to ask if there charger would work without a ct and will update here with their reply.
One thing I was thinking is could I put the ct that’s ment to be at the tails into the charger to trick the charger into thinking it’s monitoring power and give the charger an unreachable limit say 80 amps knowing it can only ever pull 32amps.

I fitted 2 hypervolt 2.0 for my FIL, one at home, one at his holiday lodge in aviemore.
The holiday one has been set dumb. Set up online, but then disconnected.

He turns it off completely when no one is there.

If I go up, I hook it up to my phone and download any updates for it.

I found them really easy to fit and set up…. And I think they are sold through CEF now.
I bought direct from hypervolt at the time.
Sounds good enough for me. Thanks

There is an option for “no CT” as I thought.

Bottom of this page….

Just a din switch setting.
Superb, That’s exactly what I’m looking for Good find.
Load management does not need to be used
So tails clamps are not essential to operation.
Thanks

I believe it's Hypervolt's position that the CT must be fitted, irrespective of whether it will function without it.
It’s an option in their MI to disable the CT, so they can’t be that insistent.

Checking my own link from earlier, I said din switches, where it’s actually a rotary switch with 8 positions.

It’s an option in their MI to disable the CT, so they can’t be that insistent.

Checking my own link from earlier, I said din switches, where it’s actually a rotary switch with 8 positions.
I seem to recall that written information for their approved installers listed an explicit requirement that it be wired and connected in all circumstances.

Reply to Hypervolt charger without ct clamp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net