I finished a job months ago , now the customer says somethings not working. Do I charge ? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss I finished a job months ago , now the customer says somethings not working. Do I charge ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So a few months back I fitted an outside socket , the customer has messaged me saying it doesn’t work and I need to come and fix it etc. do I charge ? As it was all working fine when I left. Thanks

Switches with the ability to change form, cables which move between terminals of their own volition - at least this must be what happens as everything has always worked fine until the day before. I like to gently break the news to these customers that no information could mean a lengthy fault finding processs, wheras small nuggets of information might just shave an hour or two off the bill and have me out the door in half an hour. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't warm to people who can look me in the eye and tell bare faced lies.
I play them along....

Switches with the ability to change form, cables which move between terminals of their own volition - at least this must be what happens as everything has always worked fine until the day before. I like to gently break the news to these customers that no information could mean a lengthy fault finding processs, wheras small nuggets of information might just shave an hour or two off the bill and have me out the door in half an hour. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't warm to people who can look me in the eye and tell bare faced lies.

I seem to get called in to fault find in houses that swear they haven't had any electrical work in 20 years, I can see the new MCB box rubbish dumped on top of the CU and some suspiciously shiny wago's for being 20 years old. Why lie? if anything it's a clue to past fiddling like a log book is for a car.

We should leave coded messages for future electricians by the CU, like client will follow you around like a sheep, or spaghetti nightmare escape immediately,

I seem to get called in to fault find in houses that swear they haven't had any electrical work in 20 years, I can see the new MCB box rubbish dumped on top of the CU and some suspiciously shiny wago's for being 20 years old. Why lie? if anything it's a clue to past fiddling like a log book is for a car.

We should leave coded messages for future electricians by the CU, like client will follow you around like a sheep, or spaghetti nightmare escape immediately,
Too far back in time to remember the specifics but I did one time find a note to that effect that just said "good luck!"

Reply to I finished a job months ago , now the customer says somethings not working. Do I charge ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net