I have to admit something..... and I'm a little embarrassed... | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss I have to admit something..... and I'm a little embarrassed... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I've just signed up to a DIY plumbing taster course!

There, I've said it.

I've gone through 2 customers water heating pipes over the years and the next time (arghh, tempting fate!) I'll fix the damn thing myself!

I'm actually quite looking forward to it :)

Diversify and Conquer!
My Van says :- Joinery Plumbing Mechanical Electrical - I always say "Im not a plumber but I do plumbing." - As far as I know there has been no fatalities due to bad plumbing so I'm thinking I'll be fairly safe!
(Someone will, no doubt, now post the article which will undo my above statement.)

Diversify and Conquer!
My Van says :- Joinery Plumbing Mechanical Electrical - I always say "Im not a plumber but I do plumbing." - As far as I know there has been no fatalities due to bad plumbing so I'm thinking I'll be fairly safe!
(Someone will, no doubt, now post the article which will undo my above statement.)
safe as in no fatalities from drowned customers due to bad plumbing, but wide open to a mad axeman for flooding his kitchen.

Diversify and Conquer!

Sadly,not true. There are plenty of documented investigations,and subsequent convictions,where injuries and fatalities have occurred,as a direct result of bad design,workmanship,or plain fraud.
Damage and modification of other systems,by plumbing activities,leading to explosion (flash overs),catastrophic failure of hot water storage tanks,above sleeping areas,etc.

Not to mention fatalities during work,where poor practice or judgement,by a plumber,has been the reason for injury or death.

In my opinion,a plumber who does not put an adequate vent,or bypasses a troublesome immersion stat cut-out,is providing the identical risks,as a spark who leaves a troublesome circuit,without RCD protection,on a board change.

Both are done regularly,and may not give an issue,for decades... then,one day,there is a blockage or a spillage :tophat::tophat::tophat::tophat:

Anyone tell me who's wearing them hats? ;)

I'm sure there was a case a year or two ago where some elbow was fluxed but forgotten to solder, then a couple of years later it eventually popped open and filled the house with gas with fatal results. The engineer who did the work was taken to trial and convicted and sentenced as the work was negligent and dangerous with ultimately the disastrous conclusion.

I do a bit of everything (including plumbing and building and find variety is the spice of life) both my Dad and brother in law were plumbers and I spent most of my school hols being a plumbers mate. I quite enjoy it and to be honest it isn't that taxing, however if you are going to dabble make sure your Pli covers it, as when it goes wrong it is normally spectacular!;-)
@Matt168 what's wrong with my spelling?

Sadly,not true. There are plenty of documented investigations,and subsequent convictions,where injuries and fatalities have occurred,as a direct result of bad design,workmanship,or plain fraud.
Damage and modification of other systems,by plumbing activities,leading to explosion (flash overs),catastrophic failure of hot water storage tanks,above sleeping areas,etc.

Not to mention fatalities during work,where poor practice or judgement,by a plumber,has been the reason for injury or death.

In my opinion,a plumber who does not put an adequate vent,or bypasses a troublesome immersion stat cut-out,is providing the identical risks,as a spark who leaves a troublesome circuit,without RCD protection,on a board change.

Both are done regularly,and may not give an issue,for decades... then,one day,there is a blockage or a spillage :tophat::tophat::tophat::tophat:

Anyone tell me who's wearing them hats? ;)

Undertakers ??:eek:

Reply to I have to admit something..... and I'm a little embarrassed... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net